Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : How long after whelping is a female breedable?
 Sunwing
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
3/9/2023 2:38:16 PM reply with quote send message to Sunwing Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Just wanted to confirm, since I noticed most of my females come back into "heat" when their current litter is 5 days old, but for a couple of my females (in the same breed) it will take much longer.

Is there any sort of science to how long a female needs to "recover", is it random? genetics based? Just curious :3

-----
Last edited by Sunwing on 3/9/2023 2:38:49 PM
 CzarinaTerriers
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/9/2023 2:51:38 PM reply with quote send message to CzarinaTerriers Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Females must wait till five days after the last litter is born, but I do think there’s sometimes a lag - likely depends on when the original liter was bred or maybe if it resets after midnight not sure. But all females should be completely capable to breed after 5 days (as soon as the pups turn 6 days, sometimes earlier in the fifth day, again possible relating to litter time etc).
I have never had a bitch not be able to breed after the pups end their 5th day and turn 6 days. But occasionally I can breed while the pups are still in the fifth day.
https://www.showdog.com/help/topic.aspx?id=25

Should never be an issue breeding a gal once the pups and their 5th day and and are onto the 6th so if that’s happened to you it must be a weird glitch?

-----
Last edited by CzarinaTerriers on 3/9/2023 2:54:34 PM
 Sunwing
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/9/2023 3:14:05 PM reply with quote send message to Sunwing Object to Post

Ah okay thanks for that! I admit I assumed 5 days meant they were ready when puppies were on their 5th day, not after the full 5th day. Makes sense to me!

I know I've had at least 1 female that went on to day 8 (I think, it was a bit ago now) and I was seriously stressing lol. But that was probably a glitch.
 Zoetic
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/9/2023 3:50:06 PM reply with quote send message to Zoetic Object to Post

Also, sometimes the female doesn't have a "Breed" button yet, but if you look and her last offspring are 5 days old, you can go to a stud's page and try to breed from him and she will show up on the list.
happy :)

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
At least two wins must be a set of three or more points ("majors"), under two different judges; at least one additional win under a third judge is also required.