Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 26
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : Dog Grooming Product Review Thread!
 History_Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
5/21/2012 2:39:05 AM reply with quote send message to History_Kennels Object to Post   

Hey guys! Anyways, I've been wanting to start a thread so badly for people to review their experience with products used during the grooming process.

Please contribute happy :)

Here are my reviews:

Thick N' Thicker Chris Christensen Spray:
BEST STUFF EVER!! I use this for almost all my dogs. It just can do anything. I use it to get cow licks out of my Border Collie's fur, straighten my dachshund's feathers, gets rid of frizz, ruff up my Rough Coat Collie's Mane and also, it of course thickens the hair when I want it to. I like it because it is like a hair holder, but so much easier to work with and you can't tell its there. However, if you have the spray on your hands, you can feel it in the dog's fur, so make sure to use a clean hand.

Black on Black Chris Christensen Shampoo:
To be honest, I'm usually to tired when I use this product to remember the exact results, because my breed goes first in the ring, so I'm usually doing it at like 6:00 A.M. However, I haven't stopped using it and so far, my dog still looks great. It does pretty well getting rid of reddening, but you need to drench them it for like an hour.

White on White Chris Christensen Spray:
Same review as Black on Black, but it does better in my opinion than the black on black, which makes no sense, because they are practically the same product.

Fresh Rain Water:
I love fresh rain water for my rough coats. I use it as a mister for my Border Collie, and it just makes his Mane look absolutely amazing along with his feathering. Poofs it out really well. Just make sure you collect it fresh then bottle it quickly.

Mink Oil:
I use this as a good shiner up for my dogs, but be very careful with it, because it can be devastating on a coat if you use to much before a show. I mainly use it on my breeds, such as dachshunds, silkies, and other long-haired dogs that need the shine. I also GENTLY do my rough coats too.

Super Hold Spray Chris Christensen:
Very effective. Could be used as a super glue. However, if this is your first time using it, I recommend not using your show dog or any dog that you worry about losing its fur. I let my friend use it (she has been working with dogs for almost as long as I have) for the first time without thinking, and she sprayed it gently on her dog. However, she used it wrong and the dog ended up feeling like someone glued her. It took us HOURS to get her back to normal. Also, do not use on human hair... Does not work well, ha ha.

I tend to use this product as my insurance holder, and use it so lightly. Great for poodles that need to stand up. If used correctly, you can not feel product. Never use with a blow dryer unless you want to straighten the coat, and be wary of tangles.

White Spray-on Chalk by Cherry Brook:
I like this over the regular stuff for the dog's paws, because it really covers everything in a short amount of time. Also, it is fun to watch the spray change from clear to white laugh :D.

Well, those are all the products I can actually remember. I'll add more later.

Anyone else want to contribute?

Anchor Paws Canines
Basic User

Basic User
5/21/2012 6:39:06 AM reply with quote send message to Anchor Paws Canines Object to Post

rain water, huh. I'll have to try it! laugh :D I used Ice on Ice for my rough-coated Gold and white BC, her coat was so soft! Unfortunately, we didn't do any better in the ring.
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
5/21/2012 10:13:56 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

I have a question about the Ice on Ice spray...are there certain breeds where you wouldn't want to use such a product (i.e. are there breeds with textured coats where maybe Ice on Ice would make too soft, ruining the texture)?

I love Ice on Ice for how soft it makes my dog's coat! No show dog here though, just a spoiled pointer. happy :)
 History_Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
5/21/2012 5:44:42 PM reply with quote send message to History_Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Ice on Ice is something I have, but I don't see any difference. It does make my dog's coat soft though. However, I've always used it as a coat protector or to try to keep my dogs from getting to matted.

I don't notice it protects the coat so well though. It might just be that my dogs are too destructive wink ;)
____
Another Review

Purepaws Hydrating Shampoo:
I'm not sure what to think of this. I guess it is okay if you just want to shampoo your dog, but I really don't notice any difference in my dog's coat. It works okay for my smaller dogs with easier coats as a cleaner, but for my collies don't seem to be affected by it. They look like performance dogs that were just bathed. In fact, it isn't that good at getting the dirt out of the coat of my rough breeds.

____

Does anyone have any shampoos they use for the twice a week bathing stuff? I'm trying to pick one out that won't kill my dog's coat. Do you know if you can use the whitners and darkners as a twice weekly coat shampoo or maybe even weekly? I know that the PH levels are what says if it is safe, but I can't find it on the bottle, ha ha. laugh :D

DoogieG6521
Basic User

Basic User
5/23/2012 8:32:06 AM reply with quote send message to DoogieG6521 Object to Post

If you like Chris Christensen Thick N Thicker Spray, try the new Thick N Thicker Mousse. I use it on my Kerry Blues furnishings. Gives great body & volume & shine without being sticky. I also tried it on my hair and it works great wink :)
 History_Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
5/24/2012 4:19:07 PM reply with quote send message to History_Kennels Object to Post

Cool to know. I'll definitely look for it at the show vendors.

What is mousse really anyways? I never have tried it for dogs, ha ha happy :)
 History_Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
5/27/2012 11:24:43 AM reply with quote send message to History_Kennels Object to Post

Bump

Anymore reviews? I know you guys know more about products than you are letting off, ha ha happy :)
 Grandiose
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/27/2012 12:55:48 PM reply with quote send message to Grandiose Object to Post

I use so much stuff, and switch so often its hard to keep track. One thing will work WONDERFUL for one dog, and horribly on the next.

Always been a huge fan of nearly the entire CC product line....

Got to use some IOD stuff recently, some of it I wouldnt waste my money on, some of it I will always keep on hand...

Tried the plush puppy whitener recently on a Cardigan and was not impressed sad :( ...but havent tried any of their other products...

#1 All Systems I could go either way on. It works in a pinch, but in my personal experience, the CC stuff works a little better...

For between show baths or maintenance baths on the ones that arent showing, I've started using the bar soaps for dogs that are all natural from www.allnaturaldogsoap.com/
Love the way they smell, love that they are harsh chemical free, easy on my hands and the dogs skin...and the best part is that if the puppies knock it out of your hands, you dont waste soap all over the bottom of the tub wink ;) Leaves the coats shiny and clean...and for as long as it lasts, its very economical as well!!

AmbitionIrish
Basic User

Basic User
5/27/2012 6:20:50 PM reply with quote send message to AmbitionIrish Object to Post

Natures Specialties products are my favorite, in particular Plum Silky shampoo and Plumtastic conditioner, for my Irish setters. I also like the Remoisturizer as a heavy conditioner/treatment.

The #1 All Systems Texturizing/Anti-Static Spray (if they still sell it laugh :D) is fantastic (diluted) for flyaway coats.

I like (Davis?) Fluff Out on the heavily feathered dogs after a bath used sparingly for a thicker coat (and quicker blow dry).

I also LOVE the CC brushes, especially the wooden pin brushes for brushing out a wet dog.

Amyhappy :)
 Lucifurz
Basic User

Basic User
5/28/2012 10:59:05 PM reply with quote send message to Lucifurz Object to Post

On My wires, I use #1 all systems Crisp Coat or Natures Special Almond Crisp they both seem to work well for maintaining texture.

For our "In Between Baths" (a month or longer Before the show) I also use # 1 all systems super Protein Conditioner

If I have pee or field stains in light coat, Always CC white on White.

I also use the #1AS Texturizer, CC "bottoms Up" as a coat thickener on Fine Puppy Coats. I use the CC Dry Freeze (???) Dry shampoo for a before show Tidy. Boar Bristle Brushes and CC stripping knives are my preferred tools. as well as the CC michaelangelo sculpting stones and your Basic Pumice stone.

For My labs I use the Espree Whitening shampoo (Even though they're black) and the protein conditioner, Pair that with a good blowdry and brushout and your good to go.
 History_Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
5/31/2012 8:02:20 AM reply with quote send message to History_Kennels Object to Post

Interesting reviews.

I have only used Isle of Dog once, and it was because I was out of everything else and only had samples of it (enough for a mini dachshund who had decided to go trash diving the day before my shipment of shampoos came in).

I mean, she looked clean, but I wouldn't say that it matched up to pure paws, which is what I use on her. I don't really remember what the exact product was, but it did work nevertheless.

However, I do not recommend the pure paws hydrating shampoo, because it does absolutely nothing for my dogs coat nor does it clean it that well. Anyone else have experience with pure paws? It is all I ever see at the shows anymore in the vendor booths, but I don't know many people personally who use it.
 Dark Mirage
Basic User

Basic User
5/31/2012 6:02:35 PM reply with quote send message to Dark Mirage Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

For Belgian Sheepdogs and Samoyeds:

Ice on Ice must be used with caution on a dog needing a textured or stand-off coat. It can make a coat too soft.

White on White and Black on Black - really don't think they are any better than the cheaper ones. Proper diet, good grooming and proper coat make much more difference than the shampoo.

Cindra Super Coat - works better than Thick N Thicker, and won't leave flakes on a dark dog if you happen to use too much. Washes out easily if needed. Excellent for manes and furnishings on double-coated and rough-coated breeds. Dilute well and use less than you think you will need. Revive it the next day with plain water spritz.

Plush Puppy Cover Up Cream - works great for covering a small stain on the face or legs. Blends well and if you apply it right, nobody will know its there.

Suave Almond and Shea Butter Conditioner (human product). Dilute about 15 parts water to 1 part conditioner and use as an after-bath rinse. Won't flatten the coat but really helps when combing out afterward if the dog is blowing coat.

CC Pin brushes are the only pin brush I use anymore.
 Briarmoore
Basic User

Basic User
5/31/2012 7:01:31 PM reply with quote send message to Briarmoore Object to Post

I always use an all-natural, chemical-free shampoo (preferably organic) on my dogs when they're not being shown. No sense in subjecting them, or me, to chemicals if I don't have to.

For my Scotties, I use #1 All Systems Crisp Coat shampoo. I use a pumice stone for stripping, and I can't remember what brand my stripping knives are at the moment. And then finish up with a bit of Grand Finale hairspray on the eyebrows and beard.

For the Golden, I just use an organic shampoo followed by CC Thick N Thicker. Sometimes I do use a detangling shampoo or conditioner on her pants because she has a tendency to get mats back there, though I've never found one that works particularly well.

The Flat-Coat I'm handling at the moment are bathed with Pantene... but the owner does the bathing since I don't have access to proper grooming facilities here, so that's not my choice. Her coat is in great condition though, so I'm not complaining.
 History_Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/1/2012 3:11:05 PM reply with quote send message to History_Kennels Object to Post

About the Pin Brushes, I also only use CC.

As for the slicker brush, I use something called... Mantean? The name is something like that. It works really nicely, and it is soft enough that it doesn't hurt me or my dogs. Pretty durable considering how much it has been through. Also, works great on human hair in emergencies happy :)

As for the comb, I have a greyhound, which does it job. It works better than my other combs.
 SoSunnyful
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/15/2012 11:56:04 PM reply with quote send message to SoSunnyful Object to Post

What do you guys use for stains?
 sanonroller
Basic User

Basic User
3/24/2014 7:42:29 AM reply with quote send message to sanonroller Object to Post

this post has been edited 3 time(s)

posted by SoSunnyful
What do you guys use for stains?
I have used Enzymatic Stain & Odor Remover for stain cleaning.It is very effective on pet stain carpet cleaning. Last time I have bough this product from fetch4pets.com

-----
Last edited by sanonroller on 3/24/2014 7:47:24 AM
 Zahir
Basic User

Basic User
3/24/2014 7:34:27 PM reply with quote send message to Zahir Object to Post

For whitening and stains, I like the Crystal White from EZ Groom. I've heard you shouldn't use it too often or it can cause the coat to start to look gray. I've never had that problem. I've had good luck with the Plush Puppy Whitening Shampoo, and I LOVE their Protein shampoo for cleaning and volume. I like some of the IOD conditioners (light for the Akitas, heavy for the Afghan, and their gloss for the Afghan), and some of the shampoos, but didn't care for their whitening shampoo. I DO love their mousse, as well as the Plush Puppy Puffy Dog mousse. These are all products I've used on my Akitas. On my Afghan Hounds I use a big variety of shampoos and conditioners lol! I bathe weekly, and usually use diluted people shampoo and conditioner. Generally I use Nexxus. I don't use a lot of stuff on the coat afterwards, except a little Show Sheen (a horse product). To help combat static I mist a little Plush Puppy Protein Balm that has been diluted in a spray bottle. I also will occasionally very lightly (VERY!!) spray some Plush Puppy Spray & Shine, I've done this on my Akita coats too, just the tiniest bit, to give a little extra shine happy :) Brushes & combs - LOVE the Chris Christensen slickers & Buttercombs. I also use the Madan brushes on my Afghan Hound.

I love reading product reviews from other people as I LOVE trying new products happy :)
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
3/24/2014 8:06:44 PM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

I use Isle of Dogs for all my grooming supplies.

Royal Jelly really gives a lot of volume to the coat, love the scent. It also helps them grow new coat. This is the first step in our grooming process.

Coarse coat is a must with the Wolfhounds! It gives just the right texture, but doesn't dry their coat out. It also doesn't take away from what the royal jelly does to their coat. It isn't oily either, which is extremely nice to not be adding un-needed oils to their coat and skin.

White Coat with primrose oil, although I am not crazy about the oil part, it really isn't bad! I was nervous at first to add in an extra oil to their coat/skin but in all reality it helps their skin not be dry and itchy. It really brings out the white in their coats too, which is so important. We use it on their face mostly, but occasionally on their entire body to really bring out the extra color.

We use other products sometimes such as odor sprays or wipes but very rarely and never for shows.
 Elixir Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
3/25/2014 12:38:27 PM reply with quote send message to Elixir Kennels Object to Post

I've always used Winners Circle Harsh coat shampoo on my wired dogs. The longer you leave it on (up to 5 mins) the harsher the coat. It also smells great.

I am a HUGE fan of the Mars Coat King rake, gets undercoat out like nothing else I've tried. It also doesn't break the coat as much as a furminator or something else similar.
 Acclamation
Basic User

Basic User
3/27/2014 1:02:09 AM reply with quote send message to Acclamation Object to Post

Pure Paws Texturizing Spray ... I've always used and sworn by CC Thick and Thicker mousse and spray for years, but this is actually better!!
 samshine
Basic User

Basic User
4/6/2014 5:20:23 PM reply with quote send message to samshine Object to Post

For my Samoyeds, the shampoo I love best is Pure Pet Pure Bright. The right balance between leaving the coat too soft and being too harsh.

White on White is damaging to the coat if used too often. On Samoyeds anyway.

Replies in this thread : 26
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
Additional points may be awarded to the Best of Winners, or a class dog that goes Best of Breed or Best of Opposite Sex, again depending on the number of dogs competing