Replies in this thread : 31
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Diasonia
Basic User

Basic User
4/25/2018 8:19:12 PM reply with quote send message to Diasonia Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I played ShowCats first, many years ago. Then left it, after that discovered ShowDog and also took some time off. But I can definitely say, a price of a coffee (most of us spend that 5$ in a day without even thinking) brings me more joy when I log in here again, than actually getting a coffee.

I don't want this website to become someone else's domain, be sold and inactive. I don't know in and outs about who Jeff is (assuming the owner), what issues and bugs are happening etc, since I wasn't active for a long while...but I do love this place, I am keeping couple of active accounts and I want to keep coming back to my dogs.

Also, just wanted to add - if the company is actually ran by 1 to 10 people, than I seriously applaud them! They must have found a way to get more than 24 hours in a day and RUN all of the simulations games they have. Definitely staying!

-----
Last edited by Diasonia on 4/25/2018 8:35:31 PM
 Bennett Working Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
4/28/2018 9:56:39 PM reply with quote send message to Bennett Working Dogs Object to Post

posted by Tarot
I started in 2008 and at one point had 15 kennels. Now I have 5. I showed Afghan Hounds for years and once that ended, I was looking for something to fill the void. No other game comes even close like Showdog does. No fancy pix, no cute waggy tails, just dog showing and breeding. I love it and I would be lost without it. I am on a fixed income so I probably shouldn't have even 5 kennels, but I can't fit all my breeds into just one. I consider it a necessity for my well being and I will probably stay until the bitter end. It would be easier for me to lose all my dogs and all my progress if the entire site was gone; I'm not sure I could intentionally walk away from them all. They are too real to me.

Hey, everyone knows dog show people are weird...

I have 14 kennels and I have very little discretionary income. I've been on and off the site since 2005, and the last time I left, which was last July, I thought I would not be coming back. It's not that I didn't love the game, but training real dogs and training police officers how to use those dogs, (my real job), was taking up a good deal more of my time.

I find...I always come back to this game whenever I feel lost. I play until I'm found again, and then...I disappear. I know I'm strange. happy :)
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/29/2018 11:04:58 AM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I have been here 13 years this July.
I started with one kennel then worked my way up to a family account.

I have weaned down to 3 standards, one being my true source breeding account that has been breeding Welsh Springers since 2006. Still not show quality. LOL

It is my stress relief.
I don’t spend a lot of time here, unless I have pups drop, esp in my source kennel.

For me, I can handle only 3. More...would be too stressful...but that is me.
I see this was posted in January, what did you finally do?

Edited: I see you are going monthly, good plan.

Carol

-----
Last edited by Clwyd Cockers on 4/29/2018 11:06:34 AM
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/29/2018 3:54:09 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I'll be 14 years November 22nd - that's time on SD, not my age (I wish).

I can probably handle 5 kennels but I have 10. I keep starting these little projects - help this breed, bring back that colour - then the little project takes over the whole kennel so I need another to work on my "main" breeds. I'm probably over-stocked in half of them at any one time.

And then there's the ShowHorse operation . . .

I may leave several of these accounts somewhat idle for periods of time but I don't really see closing any of them any time soon.

Is it worth it? It's a personal decision for everyone. For me, for the time being - yeah it's still worth it in spite of the reduced service level.
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/29/2018 8:14:23 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

I, too, started on ShowCats, back in 2007. I got hooked on that site because in 2008 (when I was just 11 years old!) I helped write a how-to guide for new users on how to play the game and succeed, and for my efforts, Jeff gave me a lifetime free upgrade to premium. I was floored and delighted, and my time spent on SC skyrocketed. I still really miss the site, it was one of the most fun games of my childhood and I started to get really good at strategy. I genuinely think that game helped me with some logic skills laugh :D

This site was never something I got into the way I was enraptured by SC, mostly because showing is more difficult here and because I didn't have the money for a premium account (I was 10 in 2007 so I didn't have a credit card...and Mom thought online games were silly). But a couple years ago when I officially got my own credit card I started playing this obsessively and now I'm really into it. I can only hope it sticks around. These games Jeff made are really my entire childhood within a social network of animal games. I played ShowDog on a different account when I was younger and then completely lost my password and username so I restarted when I got my credit card...and here I am today happy :)
 Diasonia
Basic User

Basic User
4/30/2018 1:48:43 PM reply with quote send message to Diasonia Object to Post

posted by gaylanstudio
I'll be 14 years November 22nd - that's time on SD, not my age (I wish).
This made me laugh out loud actually )))))) I was going to say "Good for you 14 year old!", until I finished the sentence.
 Squeaky318
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/30/2018 3:30:46 PM reply with quote send message to Squeaky318 Object to Post

I'm enjoying the game and have one family account. I also have two stables on Showhorse. I hope you choose to stay, and hopefully the glitches will get corrected. Jeff I'm sure has a life outside the game that may well be very busy, and can't address issues as quickly as in the past. It's not enough to personally turn me away.
 Berry Brits
Basic User

Basic User
4/30/2018 7:59:36 PM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post

I'm a lot like Little River, haha - I got hooked really early! I stared playing SD when I was around 12, and thanks to some really kind users and a lot of birthday money I was able to get a premi kennel for awhile. happy :) This game was a lot of my childhood lol, I always wanted a dog but my parents said no so I had virtual dogs instead! I've been on a lot of kennels throughout the years but I've always enjoyed the game.

Personally I like breeding more than I like showing, and the breeding mechanisms aren't nearly as flawed as the shows so for me it is worth it! Now that I'm old enough to fund my own kennels I realize how hefty a chunk of money it is to invest in this game but I still do it. happy :) It's therapeutic for me and helps procrastinate all my school work which is an additional bonus.

I think Jeff really just needs to bring another member of staff on board... I'm not sure what happened to Laura from way back when, but it's getting increasingly clear that he can't handle all the maintenance on his own. I know a lot of virtual websites have moderators and administrators who work on a voluntary basis and I feel like a lot of SD users would be willing to volunteer to help the game (especially for small tasks like cleaning up the forums of spam, for example). While that might not solve all the problems the site has it would really lift some of the weight off of Jeff and at no extra cost! That's just my thoughts though. happy :)
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/3/2018 2:41:00 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

I don't have a lot of expertise as far as coding, I used to be very good at CSS and HTML but I'm no good at Java...but if there was any way I oculd help I'd be delighted to.
 Ranchstars
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/6/2018 2:30:31 PM reply with quote send message to Ranchstars Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

The "little" glitches are becoming wearying. From hardly any judges, which was an issue, we've gone to too many judges, which is time consuming to evaluate.
Today shows haven't run, dogs haven't been sessioned, extra purchased session have not materialised, dogs haven't been fed and bitches haven't whelped.
What's the point of trying to run a kennel?
Have we got to a point where Jeff no longer needs the income from Showdog?

-----
Last edited by Ranchstars on 5/6/2018 2:32:51 PM

-----
Last edited by Ranchstars on 5/6/2018 2:34:38 PM
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/6/2018 2:56:18 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

posted by Ranchstars
The "little" glitches are becoming wearying. From hardly any judges, which was an issue, we've gone to too many judges, which is time consuming to evaluate.
Today shows haven't run, dogs haven't been sessioned, extra purchased session have not materialised, dogs haven't been fed and bitches haven't whelped.
What's the point of trying to run a kennel?
Have we got to a point where Jeff no longer needs the income from Showdog?

If you aren't happy with the game, why do you stay?

We've been down for less than a day.

Will

Replies in this thread : 31
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.