Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 11

Author Topic : breed?
 speedy2
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/15/2014 6:16:33 AM reply with quote send message to speedy2 Object to Post   

Hi people. Was in this game many years ago, and had some good dogs who are still on all time lists. I have tried a couple of breeds - seem to have picked breeds with only a couple of players and mostly no pups for sale, and breeds with a few more players but hard to break into. Don't seem to be getting anywhere either in breeding or showing. Does anyone have a breed with room for newbies to get somewhere without having an endless wallet?
 TriStar Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/15/2014 9:39:53 AM reply with quote send message to TriStar Kennels Object to Post

English Setters are always interested in new players. Message me if you're interested in more information.
 Image Bostons
Basic User

Basic User
10/15/2014 11:30:14 AM reply with quote send message to Image Bostons Object to Post

Boston Terriers need new players!! I always offer my help. They are cheap happy :)
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/15/2014 11:59:30 AM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

I'm in Briards, Tollers, Black & Tan Coonhounds, and GWPs - all could use new players. there are a handful of GWP and Toller breeders, 3 Black & Tan, and 3 Briard breeders. I could help in either breed
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/15/2014 12:18:47 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Irish Red & White need more activity
 Alibi
Basic User

Basic User
10/15/2014 12:39:00 PM reply with quote send message to Alibi Object to Post

Collies would always welcome you.
 King Blazzo Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/15/2014 1:24:09 PM reply with quote send message to King Blazzo Kennels Object to Post

I just started about 2 months ago in amstafffs and I feel like it was pretty easy to get into.there are always a lot of pups to buy as well as fair priced stud dogs. Let me know if you need any broods to get ya started
 Ruby Bloom Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/15/2014 4:44:27 PM reply with quote send message to Ruby Bloom Kennel Object to Post

My advice would be to pick a few breeds that you might be interested in, ask the top breeders in each if you can buy a show quality pup, then decide which breed you prefer after showing your dogs. Jack Russells are a fun breed, fwiw. And miniature poodles also seem fun, though I've never shown them myself. Good luck in your choice!
 Analeyn
Basic User

Basic User
10/15/2014 11:03:20 PM reply with quote send message to Analeyn Object to Post

Keeshonds sound like a good fit.

We have a medium sized community of active kennels (10 or so). Studs are very reasonably priced (usually $50). I'm sure that all Keeshond breeders would help where they can, especially with puppies/adults to start.

The show ring is competitive, but friendly. Majors can be obtained from at least one show each night, and specialty shows attract good entry numbers. Some relatively new players to the breed have recently had great success in the ring.

As a bonus, we have an active community thread in the Keeshond forum:
www.showdog.com/forum/read.aspx?id=383195

Please let myself, or any of the other breeders know if you would like to try Keeshonds happy :)

Analeyn

Arietta
Basic User

Basic User
10/16/2014 10:32:16 PM reply with quote send message to Arietta Object to Post

I see you started in Irish Water Spaniels. I find it to be a pretty good breed. There are enough breeders for entries and stud choices and generally lots of good quality pups and a few broods available too. Entries vary but I can usually finish dogs without much trouble.

If you decide to stay please know you are welcome! happy :)

Taranis
Basic User

Basic User
10/17/2014 3:37:34 AM reply with quote send message to Taranis Object to Post

I'm in Portuguese Pointers and Anatolian Shepherds, both of which have friendly breeders which would be more than happy to help out with getting you started.

I'm also in Caucasian Mountain Dogs, but I've only been in that breed a few days, so all I can really say is it's an improvement on the breed I was in before on that account... where the top breeders wouldn't even sell any breeding quality dogs, let alone show quality ones. :/
 ironforge
Basic User

Basic User
10/22/2014 10:44:02 AM reply with quote send message to ironforge Object to Post

Speedy, if you're still looking for a breed, Italian Greyhounds are awesome! This account does color breeding (trying to bring back solids/get them up to showable SOPs) but I have a different account that has nice IGs now that are finishable.

IG SOPs are high enough that you can make group placings/wins. We could use another person showing so I'm not the only one building majors! It'd be nice to finish some of my own dogs instead of paying all these entry fees for everybody else to finish, bwa ha ha ha!

We need more players!

Replies in this thread : 11

Did you know?
An obedience trial is a dog sport in which a dog must perfectly execute a predefined set of tasks when directed to do so by his handler