Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 75
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< prev page next page >>

gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/18/2014 1:01:03 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

This topic comes up over and over and I’ve always said that for me the economy works just fine. I do limit my breeding and I do limit my showing, and I do in fact take breaks and just let everyone sit idle for periods of time. No one is ever on OldBoy! PetHouse for Adults for cockers works out to $1.00 per day per dog.

Replacing the current system with an alternate, whatever it might be puts all my kennels at financial risk. I do not want to have to change my daily routine to something that works for someone else if it doesn’t work for me. Thus I would strongly oppose the idea of replacing the current system with an alternate.

Now, I understand that while it’s working for me, it isn’t for some others so I’m perfectly willing to consider changes. I don’t think an increase in the total cash circulating is going to cause a catastrophic economic collapse however I do understand the ramifications of just injecting cash – over time it will be inflationary - however I think everyone would agree that right now SD prices are seriously deflated. Puppy sales and prices are way down, stud fees are way down, entries (and thus payouts) are down but other costs have remained static – entry fees, food.

So, perhaps a simpler solution is to increase income:

How would it work if you were to raise the base salary from $3 to $5 and the average balance threshold ($25,000 I believe at present) to $30,000.

At the same time, perhaps put a block on the super high balances like you did with ShowHorse if there is an issue with certain kennels with mega-balances (those who have a balance exceeding some amount don’t get a salary at all).
This is why I asked earlier for a report of the financial assets of all kennels.

This retains the checks and balances of the present system which has worked well for many years. If in the future the user base should increase causing inflation (too much competition for the available resources – puppies and sessions) it could be just as easily dialed back again.
 Astoria2
Basic User

Basic User
12/18/2014 4:45:38 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria2 Object to Post

posted by PPvallhunds
I honestly don't see how some people end up in dept.
im currently on 4 sessions/10X salary, I have currently 29 adult dogs and a few litters yet the salary is more than my food bill. Any boys im not showing go on old boy, girls on pet house, the dog im training goes on a high fat ration till condition is up then I use top dog foods.
Today I made a $16 profit from the daily salary while having sessions to train a dog to show. When I show I entre the $5 ones which is what a session sells for so my extra session pays for a show for one dog for the day.
I just train one dog at a time and work on breeding that next great dog to show.

if my balance starts getting low ill save up for a week or two, lower and advertise my studs and put up some pups/older girls for sale that I would have just FH and advertise them.

Ive reasontly got in to a second breed on a small scale and have made $1600 from stud fees from the one male I have.

I can tell you exactly how my kennels got into debt.
I'm the ONLY person actively showing/breeding Briards. in order to show my dogs (which is the purpose and fun of this game!) I use all 12 of my sessions daily to train 4 dogs (4 are needed for a major thus to finish a dog) so any entry fees ($20/day) and food bill ($40/day) is a debt.
I am now to the point where I no longer need any outside studs, but that was not the case in the beginning. Briards aren't very high SOP yet, although I am working on it, and therefore do not place regularly in groups, so show payouts are basically non-existant as well.

I really am happy that the current system does work for some people, but I've seen mention that those people cut back on dogs, let their kennels sit for a week or two at a time, or that they have income of puppy or stud sales.

I guess I feel like my kennels that have no stud fees, no puppy sales, and very little show payouts shouldn't have to suffer and be drastically in debt. And neither should I have to suffer by not being able to play with whichever breed I choose or to only use certain aspects of the game for fear of being in debt. I basically see it now as well, I'm already in debt. What's a little more?
 Gypsy Wind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/18/2014 6:31:46 PM reply with quote send message to Gypsy Wind Kennels Object to Post

And to further Astoria's point - ok some people let their kennels sit idle and just collect a salary for a week or two....well we dont pay RL money to play a game where we do NOTHING for a week or two for any reason. If Im not going to show or breed or actively participate in the simulation, Im not going to pay for it anymore.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
12/18/2014 6:55:55 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

this post has been edited 3 time(s)

posted by Astoria2
I'm the ONLY person actively showing/breeding Briards. in order to show my dogs (which is the purpose and fun of this game!) I use all 12 of my sessions daily to train 4 dogs (4 are needed for a major thus to finish a dog) so any entry fees ($20/day) and food bill ($40/day) is a debt.
I am now to the point where I no longer need any outside studs, but that was not the case in the beginning. Briards aren't very high SOP yet, although I am working on it, and therefore do not place regularly in groups, so show payouts are basically non-existant as well.

I really am happy that the current system does work for some people, but I've seen mention that those people cut back on dogs, let their kennels sit for a week or two at a time, or that they have income of puppy or stud sales.

I guess I feel like my kennels that have no stud fees, no puppy sales, and very little show payouts shouldn't have to suffer and be drastically in debt. And neither should I have to suffer by not being able to play with whichever breed I choose or to only use certain aspects of the game for fear of being in debt. I basically see it now as well, I'm already in debt. What's a little more?

simple solution is for u to have a basic kennel for showing the dogs to get points in, u can have 5 Briards in the basic that u can entre against your dogs your are showing, that way you will not have to session 4 dogs at once.

if you chose to train/show lots dogs at once its no different to choosing to sponsor lots of show at once or choosing to pay £1000 for a new dog all of which will cost you a lot more money than if you moderated how much you did at once, it doesn't mean u have to stop just not over do it, if you choose to over do it then you chose to lose money.

I rarely get puppy sales or stud use in my main breed (one reason I reasontly added the second breed on a small scale), we also don't get group placing and at one point I was the only one showing, I breed a lot of litters still so I was in the exact same position as you yet my balance stayed the same as I used my basic to have show fillers in and I session one or two dogs at a time normally starting the second when the first is almost finished.
I often hit to max limit on adult dogs and have to have big clear outs so I can keep my newer pups yet my food bill is normally less than the salary im getting, that way my balance isn't going down all the time from food.
I don't waste food on dogs that are no use to my breeding/showing program. if I have better quality dogs the lower ones get FH, just as I don't keep any retired dogs, there are waste on resources.

If anything it costs less to have an unpopular breed as you can finish a dog much quicker, in the kennels where I have more popular breeds I have to show a dog much more to finish it as competition is high where are if your in a breed where only 1-3 people are showing and your having to stack shows you know you dog will finish quickly and can even be done with out being fully sessioned so u will have to entre less shows. Also in the more popular breeds unless you have a top SOP stud/pup stud use and puppy sales can be as bad as the unpopular breeds as there are so many studs people only want to use the highest ones or buy the highest quality puppies.

-----
Last edited by PPvallhunds on 12/18/2014 7:12:25 PM
 Shadowstorm Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/19/2014 12:12:29 AM reply with quote send message to Shadowstorm Kennels Object to Post

Well put me in "Slightly in Debt" and in my other kennel as "Seriously in Debt". I don't know what needs to be done, but something needs to happen soon. The money situation has been a long issues for years now and still..
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Administrator Forum Moderator
12/19/2014 8:59:14 AM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

Number over $20,000: 44
Number number over $10,000 and under $20,000: 133
Number under -$1000 (slightly in debt) and above -$3000: 63
Number under -$3000 (significantly in debt) and above -$5,000: 65
Number under -$5000 (seriously in debt): 74
 Studio Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
12/19/2014 9:47:54 AM reply with quote send message to Studio Dogs Object to Post

wow-I cant get over 2000, and I have to strip mine bare to get back over 1000.
 DoogieG6521
Basic User

Basic User
12/19/2014 11:21:07 AM reply with quote send message to DoogieG6521 Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

So 177 are over $10,000
and 202 are in the negatives?
What is the number of players that are $0 - 9,999?
Just curious how big a piece of a pie that is.

Blunotes

-----
Last edited by DoogieG6521 on 12/19/2014 4:43:01 PM
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
12/19/2014 4:45:54 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

posted by DoogieG6521
So 177 are over $10,000
and 202 are in the negatives?
What is the number of players that are $0 - 9,999?
Just curious how big of a pie that is.

Blunotes

well my basic kennel is ranked number 1,106
so taking out those numbers there are at least 727 kennels between the two amounts admin listed, but will likely be much more as I cant imagine my basic being the lowest ranked in the whole game.
 Halcyon Delight
Basic User

Basic User
12/20/2014 3:48:20 AM reply with quote send message to Halcyon Delight Object to Post

Voted!!

I have struggled for so long in minus figure kennels over the years and have given up so many rarer breeds because eventually I got so in debt I couldn't cut it.

Thank you for suggesting this.
 Z3
Basic User

Basic User
12/21/2014 2:49:54 AM reply with quote send message to Z3 Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

I really appreciate this idea! In my family account I have lots of breeds being alone - Appenzeller Senenhund, Toy or Miniature? Poodle, LR, Welsh Terrier, Griant Schnauzer and some more. Some have a player is playing from time to time.

With these breeds it's quite impossible to make money - nor with BIS, nor with stud fee and also not with selling puppies.

happy :) Iris

P.S.: I have kennels with low balance (LR about 650 Dollar) and rich one where I can make a lot of stud fee or winning BISS like Airedales = Balance closed to 25k happy :) None is in dept.

-----
Last edited by Z3 on 12/21/2014 5:48:47 AM
 Guiding Senjis
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/23/2015 11:19:07 PM reply with quote send message to Guiding Senjis Object to Post

Hi all, been flip flopping tween my Purrs Port and Guiding Senjis here. My status is I have recovered from Major drought in here I was struggling at -5K for ages by FH most dogs, using own studs, not breeding or showing, finally not breeding. I do consistantcy use Basnji here and Border Terrier under my Purrs Port, it hasn't been negatives for a while as wasn't playing under port at all for years.
 Guiding Senjis
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/23/2015 11:28:45 PM reply with quote send message to Guiding Senjis Object to Post

posted by Astoria2
posted by PPvallhunds
I honestly don't see how some people end up in dept.
im currently on 4 sessions/10X salary, I have currently 29 adult dogs and a few litters yet the salary is more than my food bill. Any boys im not showing go on old boy, girls on pet house, the dog im training goes on a high fat ration till condition is up then I use top dog foods.
Today I made a $16 profit from the daily salary while having sessions to train a dog to show. When I show I entre the $5 ones which is what a session sells for so my extra session pays for a show for one dog for the day.
I just train one dog at a time and work on breeding that next great dog to show.

if my balance starts getting low ill save up for a week or two, lower and advertise my studs and put up some pups/older girls for sale that I would have just FH and advertise them.

Ive reasontly got in to a second breed on a small scale and have made $1600 from stud fees from the one male I have.

AMEN. In Border terriers and Basenji people haven't been showing, buying puppies or studs I have been paying but basically keep losing motivation as no one enters or shows, at the best my beloved breeds have one show a night to enter but other shows have no entries. That part I accept but no shows but to be only person entering? :'(
 Guiding Senjis
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/23/2015 11:31:58 PM reply with quote send message to Guiding Senjis Object to Post

posted by Studio Dogs
wow-I cant get over 2000, and I have to strip mine bare to get back over 1000.
Same here Studio. I know also number showing as playing are those entering shows, sessioning up and all, wonder how many shadows here 'playing' but not really.
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Administrator Forum Moderator
3/31/2015 9:56:06 AM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

Done in January of 2015.

Replies in this thread : 75
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
In the American Kennel Club, a dog needs 15 points to become a Champion, with each win gaining anywhere from zero to five points depending on the number of dogs competing and the area where the show is held.