Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : I'm Curious...Again!
 Bennett Working Dogs
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/7/2016 4:46:32 PM reply with quote send message to Bennett Working Dogs Object to Post   

Hi all:

I have two questions this time. The first is how much does it cost to sponsor a specialty? Unless I missed it, I couldn't find anything about this in the help files.

The second questions is this. I notice that there are several breeds with sops in the 99's. So, eventually, one would assume that you could theoretically reach a sop of 100. At that point, will the breed be reset somehow, or will the competition just be between dogs of 100 sop?
 speedy2
Basic User

Basic User
6/8/2016 4:25:57 AM reply with quote send message to speedy2 Object to Post

answer to the first one - $200
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
6/8/2016 8:01:01 AM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

The price for sponsoring a specialty starts at $200, but then it increases.

So if you go to host a specialty for a breed and there isn't any currently then it's only $200, but if you go to host one and there is already several that have been sponsored the price goes up.

It cost me $360 the other day to add another specialty for one of my breeds. I'm not sure what the 'max' amount that it will cost you though ... I'm sure there's probably a cut-off limit happy :)
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
6/8/2016 8:05:50 AM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

In regards to the 2nd question:

In the past Jeff has had to 'reset' all breeds several times when some breeds have gotten too close to 100%.

This generally causes a fair bit of uproar - especially for those breeds that aren't close to 100%.

The last time Jeff did an update he implemented a new theory to prevent the need for a future 'reset.'

As far as I understand it - each dog's traits are shown to reflect how that dog scores against others in the breed. We only see one decimal place - however each trait has hidden decimals - so a 10.0 might actually be a 10.559 (for example).

I'm fairly sure that the decimals can move around slightly too.

I don't know the logistics behind it - but all I remember is that is was meant to be WAY harder to breed a 99.90% dog this time round ...

Someone else might know more on this topic than me - or might be able to explain it better?
 Bennett Working Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
6/8/2016 4:42:55 PM reply with quote send message to Bennett Working Dogs Object to Post

Yes, I was curious about that because there are several 99 goldens and a couple 99 GSDs. I don't know about other breeds.
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/9/2016 7:50:01 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

Dalkeith,

Do you happen to know if there is a post anywhere that talks about how the current system is setup?

I was under the impression that the changing decimal thing was froze and hasn't been used in a couple years? So the breeds are just moving forward?

Will
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
6/9/2016 7:54:02 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

Will,

I don't know if there is a post about it somewhere - but all I remember is that Jeff spoke about it ages ago (re: the changing decimal thing).

I wasn't aware that it had been frozen? But I guess that would make sense as to why the breeds are improving so rapidly.

Jeff's the only one will be able to tell us :/
 DoggyPanache
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/10/2016 1:28:35 AM reply with quote send message to DoggyPanache Object to Post

Seems like I remember it had to do with decimals, that we would go to 3? Like 99.000? But I might be wrong.

Replies in this thread : 7

Did you know?
A specialty show is a dog show which reviews a single breed, unlike other dog shows, particularly conformation shows, which are generally referred to as "all-breed" because they are open to all breeds recognized by the sponsoring kennel club.