Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 15

Author Topic : Looking For New Breed In Need
 Amoroso
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
11/14/2016 11:36:44 PM reply with quote send message to Amoroso Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Showing two competitive breeds is wearing down on me, as I just don't have the time to make a million entries while simultaneously working full time, applying to grad programs, and attempting to have a life...lol. So, I am getting out of American Cockers (which, I have a ton listed for sale now!), and looking for a more low-key breed to accompany my Dachshunds, which are a permanent fixture here.

Here are some specifics that I am more interested in, but not requirements:
- Breed in need; would be interested in helping a breed that has only a few (if any) breeder(s) (if none, I would only be interested if someone is also looking for the same thing and is willing to help)
- Picardy photos
- SOP under 85?

Again, these are rough guidelines. I'm mostly looking for a breed that needs help in some way, whether it be color revival, SOP, or total breed revival.

Em

-----
Last edited by Amoroso on 11/15/2016 12:25:04 AM
 nyan_jai
Basic User

Basic User
11/15/2016 6:32:32 AM reply with quote send message to nyan_jai Object to Post

Black and Tan coonhounds are critical, think there are about 21 dogs last time I checked. SOP is higher than 85 however for any sort of success I think that bringing in starters would be needed.

I have three starter bitches for sale on another account and 3 bitch pups that i bred from them and current SOP studs

They have picardy pics

-----
Last edited by nyan_jai on 11/15/2016 8:04:00 AM
 Saffyre
Basic User

Basic User
11/15/2016 7:53:23 AM reply with quote send message to Saffyre Object to Post

May I suggest Cane Corsos?

Currently there are only 3 active breeders, and I believe only 2 of us are showing. Lowish SOP's (94.5+ will get points) with LOTS of room for improvement and plenty of genetics available. Also plenty of opportunity for color breeding.

There are quite a few very nice pups for sale right now along with broodies and studs.

All the active players are very nice and happy to help new kennels.

Did I mention we have gorgeous Picardy pics? happy :)
 Purgatory
Basic User

Basic User
11/15/2016 10:07:59 AM reply with quote send message to Purgatory Object to Post

Id like to recommend Kelpies!

We gave two breeders since one went basic and left. Now, competition is slim. The two of us left work together often and keep our stud fees low. Always nice stock available. Handlers are easy to obtain.

We session fast and have a few different colors. We have Picardy pics! Our SOPs are higher than you seek in the high 97 and recently, low 98.

It's just awful lonely showing with just the two of us. I often have to stack shows. Hope you consider us!

Four
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/15/2016 12:34:24 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Wire Fox
Airedale
Pharoah Hound
Greyhound
Saluki
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
11/15/2016 4:36:25 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

You can also take a look at the "Breed Health" spread sheet I did for this month's SD Chronicle

bit.ly/2f6SbrL

It includes the Breed SOP, # of Breeders, # of Dogs & # of Entries (at the time I did the report), Picardy Pics Yes/No and also lists possible color projects.

Looks like we have 8 breeds in the 80s and 4 breeds that are 60-70
 PixelPups
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/15/2016 5:37:24 PM reply with quote send message to PixelPups Object to Post

Wow, I love that list! That looks like quite an effort. Since I am considering a new breed this looks like a great resource.

Just to show how quickly things can change though, Australian Kelpies are down to 2 breeders from the 5 shown in the list already. (NOT criticizing the list!! Just amazed at how Kelpies ended up with so many less players so fast.)
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
11/15/2016 6:12:31 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

Things do change quickly.

The plan is to redo the list on a quarterly basis - so it'll be interesting to see how breeds advance or fall back - etc
 Amoroso
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/15/2016 6:31:36 PM reply with quote send message to Amoroso Object to Post

That list is great! I was in B&T Coonhounds WAY back in 2007...before I rejoined and created this account. I see that one breeder (that I remember from way back when!) has higher SOPs, but otherwise it's almost starting from scratch. I bought one of the current SOP boys listed for sale, and also a few of your starter stock. Hopefully blending the two will revive the bloodlines, and help lower COI.

Thank you to everyone for the input!
 Temora
Basic User

Basic User
11/17/2016 3:26:26 PM reply with quote send message to Temora Object to Post

Hi Rhonda

What a wonderful spreadsheet! Thanks for the immense amount of work that has gone into it.

Wire haired Pointing Griffons are not on your breed health survey in the Sporting group.
 Halcyon Dreams
Basic User

Basic User
11/18/2016 1:51:42 AM reply with quote send message to Halcyon Dreams Object to Post

So surprised to see Cavaliers on here, they are such popular little dogs in the U.K. I have some in my halcyonlisa kennel if anyone is interested in helping out.
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
11/18/2016 6:38:01 AM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

posted by Temora
Hi Rhonda

What a wonderful spreadsheet! Thanks for the immense amount of work that has gone into it.

Wire haired Pointing Griffons are not on your breed health survey in the Sporting group.

Thank you SO much for your kind comment!
I don't mind the work as long as I know someone finds it interesting or beneficial.

I do apologize for omitting WPGs!
It's one of the breeds that doesn't show up on the Stud Dog page list. I tried to cross reference with the For Sale page, but obviously I missed that one.

I've added the breed info now. happy :)
 Blaidd Drwg
Basic User

Basic User
11/18/2016 9:51:01 AM reply with quote send message to Blaidd Drwg Object to Post

Wrong one. Whoops!!

-----
Last edited by Blaidd Drwg on 11/18/2016 9:51:44 AM
 Afterburner Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
11/18/2016 10:33:58 AM reply with quote send message to Afterburner Kennels Object to Post

Boston Terriers if you have room!
 Sunchaser
Basic User

Basic User
11/18/2016 4:06:25 PM reply with quote send message to Sunchaser Object to Post

I'm just now coming back into the game...looks like I have some options to play around with while I'm working on a competitive breed. Wonderful spreadsheet, very helpful!

Kani
 Temora
Basic User

Basic User
11/18/2016 5:30:01 PM reply with quote send message to Temora Object to Post

Hi Rhonda

Thanks for your comment re WPGs.

Every now and then they fall off the stud list - we email Jeff and they come back for a while.

That spreadsheet is so useful in a number of my breeds ... thank you.

Replies in this thread : 15

Did you know?
The figure 8 exercise requires the team to heel in a figure 8 pattern either on or off leash. Generally two of the ring stewards will assist the judge with this exercise by acting as "posts", standing 8 feet apart, that the team walks around to form the loops of the figure 8.