.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 15

Author Topic : thinking of solving a puzzle re breeds
 Lisboa
Basic User

System.__ComObject
2/18/2019 4:15:06 AM reply with quote send message to Lisboa Object to Post   

Hi people

I'm intrigued about the time it takes a pup from a well-conditioned mother and on the top puppy ration and then the top adult ration, to be ready for showing - that is 20 across the board.

Different breeds hit that at different times.

If I set up an account, would you be interested in selling me a puppy (it shouldn't be a good show prospect) that has been bred from a bitch with 20 condition, and is on the top puppy ration? From any breed?

I'll just session them and keep feeding them, and see who gets there.

I'm really intrigued about the real life aspect, so that herding dogs and working dogs get to show condition faster, and hounds and terriers more slowly as they are stubborn. Also the amount of grooming a coated dog needs as against a short coat.

Happy to sell pups back if you want them.

Is anyone interested in this?
 Azawakh Inc.
Basic User

Basic User
2/18/2019 6:48:12 AM reply with quote send message to Azawakh Inc. Object to Post

posted by Lisboa
Hi people

I'm intrigued about the time it takes a pup from a well-conditioned mother and on the top puppy ration and then the top adult ration, to be ready for showing - that is 20 across the board.

Different breeds hit that at different times.

If I set up an account, would you be interested in selling me a puppy (it shouldn't be a good show prospect) that has been bred from a bitch with 20 condition, and is on the top puppy ration? From any breed?

I'll just session them and keep feeding them, and see who gets there.

I'm really intrigued about the real life aspect, so that herding dogs and working dogs get to show condition faster, and hounds and terriers more slowly as they are stubborn. Also the amount of grooming a coated dog needs as against a short coat.

Happy to sell pups back if you want them.

Is anyone interested in this?

--------------------------------------

Not sure how this is going to work for you as far as getting the pups, but I have this boy that has been on super custom rations since birth and he is 10 days old now...
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=16723712
 Tarot
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/18/2019 10:58:31 AM reply with quote send message to Tarot Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I have a couple of questions:

When you say 'top puppy ration' what do you mean?
Do you want a puppy that has been sessioned from birth if it's not a newborn?

I will be glad to offer you whatever I have, sounds interesting.

-----
Last edited by Tarot on 2/18/2019 11:01:57 AM
 Lisboa
Basic User

Basic User
2/18/2019 2:19:19 PM reply with quote send message to Lisboa Object to Post

Hi people

Firstly I haven't created the account yet -was seeing if there was interest.

Secondly, any pup that has been sessioned by you is probably a show pup, and I'm trying not to interfere with your showing/breeding. I'm happy to buy a pup you would normally sell or fh. The only problem I can see if if its COI is too high it may not thrive (guessing here).

I'd be happy to buy the pup as soon after its birth as possible (we all have other commitments too), from a bitch with a condition of 20, and placed on 1777 puppy food. I will session the pup and continue its food on 1777 puppy and then 1777 adult, and work out when it's ready to show (all blue and all 20).

So far I have 2 possible takers. I'll also run this post in the general tab.

My breed (Sealyham Terriers) is not ready for showing until 30 days plus, and I know that some breeds get there earlier and some later.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/18/2019 6:28:57 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I'm willing to help you out but at present I'm overstocked in most of my kennels (10) - lol.

Across the board, I have Basenjis (they take about 38 or so days I think - I did this once for them some time ago and they take forever), Pharaohs, Saluki, Greyhound, American and English Cockers, Weimaraners, Pointers, Airedale, Smooth and Wire Fox. I think that's all.

If you decide to go ahead with this, I'll breed litters in each and send you an experimental subject in each. Let me know.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/18/2019 6:43:25 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Here's another project for you if you like - cost of feed per dog/day by breed.

The cost varies. I've done a bit with cockers and setters but I've lost a lot of my notes. I believe I found ccckers to be $1 per day and setters $1.97 but I'm not sure now of the ration I used. It is dependant on the size - English and American cockers are the same whatever it is and I believe all of the setters are the same. Puppy and Adult seem to be the same per dog/day.

You could possibly do both experiments simultaneously but it might be easier to do separately.
 DoggyPanache
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/18/2019 9:59:29 PM reply with quote send message to DoggyPanache Object to Post

I would love to help. Here are my kennels and breeds:

Aldeberan: Akitas, Beardirs, Standard Poodles
(rarely have pups other than the SPoodles)

DoggyPanache: Goldens, Shih Tzus, Great Danes, and Irish Water Spaniels (rarely breed anything but Shih Tzus)

Fingerprint: Dalmatians

Tarot: Afghan Hounds

Xizang: Afghan Hounds, Tibetan Terriers, Boxers

If you want any of these in particular, I will breed a litter if I can. Some of the less popular breeds have no studs available!

There is definitely a difference in difficulty of sessioning, that's for sure. I'll be interested in what you find out.
 BeauBlanc
Basic User

Basic User
2/18/2019 10:12:17 PM reply with quote send message to BeauBlanc Object to Post

I can provide an Anatolian Shepherd. I only session the bare minimum to show (one trait above 10) so don't have any idea of how long it takes.
 EqualMeasure
Basic User

Basic User
2/19/2019 4:59:53 AM reply with quote send message to EqualMeasure Object to Post

Hi people

Lisboa here

I have created EqualMeasure as the account to do this. It needs to get 24 hours or so for the sessions to kick in, then I'll start looking for dogs
 EqualMeasure
Basic User

Basic User
2/20/2019 1:05:32 AM reply with quote send message to EqualMeasure Object to Post

OK, let me know about puppies - ready to go
 GaylanStudio9
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/23/2019 11:49:30 PM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio9 Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I have litters in these breeds due on the 26,27 and 1st as indicated.

E Cocker 1st
Saluki 1st
Greyhound 1st
S Fox 1st
Pharaoh 1st
Airedale 26th
Pointers 27th
Weimaraners 27th
A Cocker 27th
Basenji 27th
W Fox 27th

That's all of them

-----
Last edited by GaylanStudio9 on 2/24/2019 9:12:10 PM
 TurkeyTracks
Basic User

Basic User
2/24/2019 10:27:53 AM reply with quote send message to TurkeyTracks Object to Post

i will have newfies due Wednesday 27 at 12:30 am
 EqualMeasure
Basic User

Basic User
2/24/2019 2:29:43 PM reply with quote send message to EqualMeasure Object to Post

Thanks people
 Rizona
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/26/2019 8:53:27 AM reply with quote send message to Rizona Object to Post

I can let you take an American Foxhound but they take a long time. Also in Intrinsicc I can let you take Italian Greyhound they are faster. Just let me know if either breed interests you
 EqualMeasure
Basic User

Basic User
2/26/2019 3:15:11 PM reply with quote send message to EqualMeasure Object to Post

Hi

Happy with either or both - I just need one as soon as possible after whelping, and on 1777 food.
 gaylanstudio8
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/26/2019 6:12:15 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio8 Object to Post

Here's an Airedale for your project. He' been sessioned and on 1777 since birth on the 26th.

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=16751532

you can FH him when you are done.

Replies in this thread : 15

Did you know?
Additional points may be awarded to the Best of Winners, or a class dog that goes Best of Breed or Best of Opposite Sex, again depending on the number of dogs competing