Replies in this thread : 10

Author Topic : Breeding etiquette
 Taymyr
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
10/14/2016 1:55:27 AM reply with quote send message to Taymyr Object to Post   

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

I would like to get other opinions.

I am in Samoyeds, a breed with not a lot of stud options, especially in one colour - biscuit, where there are only 3 studs available, from one breeder, all need breeder approval.
The breeder only comes on occasionally. I have selected one of these for my best bitch (she is higher than him) 48 hours ago.
I could now just click on breed and go ahead and breed her.
But I am wondering what the unofficial etiquette is about doing that, never having come across this before in a breed.

Other opinions would be welcome.

-----
Last edited by Taymyr on 10/14/2016 1:57:29 AM
 Saffyre
Basic User

Basic User
10/14/2016 7:33:51 AM reply with quote send message to Saffyre Object to Post

If the stud is on approval, they will have to approve the breeding.

If not, you can click on "Breed" and they don't have to be involved. Its how many of us use "lost studs" from kennels that haven't been active in ages but their males are still available for breeding.

Does this answer your question?
 Aldeberan
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/14/2016 10:04:12 AM reply with quote send message to Aldeberan Object to Post

I don't have a problem with breeding to him anyway. If they don't want that, they can just remove him from the stud list. some of my dogs are not listed at stud. Then if I want to use him myself or let someone else use him, I just will add him temporarily, them take him off. I wouldn't feel bad at all.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/14/2016 2:13:21 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

If you can breed to him and you want to, go ahead.

That is how it was set up to function.

(Would have avoided a lot of issues on ShowHorse if it had been done that way there too.)
 Taymyr
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/14/2016 3:25:53 PM reply with quote send message to Taymyr Object to Post

Done -- and thanks. happy :)
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
10/14/2016 5:31:22 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Ugh I didn't know that you could breed to dogs "on approval" if the other player didn't respond.

That would have saved me some trouble not too long ago.

-----
Last edited by rhondacline on 10/14/2016 5:34:08 PM
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/15/2016 9:40:41 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Yeah Rhonda, I didn't for a long time either.

There aren't that many on SD that use it, at least not in my breeds - only ever seen one that I recall.
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/15/2016 2:25:12 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

I never could figure out the point of it, actually. I mean, all you have to do is wait a couple of days (if I remember right) and then you can do the breeding anyway, so what's the point?
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/15/2016 10:56:08 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

The stud owner can still refuse your request if they choose. It is only if the stud owner neglects to deal with the request that you can then breed anyway.

It means that if a user leaves the game, their 'On Approval' studs are still actually available. It's an "approved by default" system whereas ShowHorse has a "reject by default" system.

Now, because it is used so little I'm not entirely sure it actually does work (lol).
 Lace Dreams
Basic User

Basic User
10/16/2016 10:04:01 AM reply with quote send message to Lace Dreams Object to Post

That's good to know if I ever get into a breed with studs on approval in an abandoned kennel.

To be honest, I've never gotten the whole approval thing in our fantasy games. You get money and you're helping somebody else out. In real life it makes sense. Here it doesn't lol.

Alexandria
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/17/2016 2:03:35 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I tend to agree. In real life you are protecting real breeds, real dogs, and real people from the perils of the uneducated (regarding dogs) and the unscrupulous (regarding everything).

Replies in this thread : 10

The Kennel Club (UK) system, which is also used by the Australian National Kennel Council[1] and in other countries, is considered the most difficult to earn a title under.