.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 14

Author Topic : question on custom food and its longevity
 Lisboa
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/25/2018 4:18:23 AM reply with quote send message to Lisboa Object to Post   

Hi people

I use custom food (1777) for all pups and show adults. Lately I have had some adults that are taking 40+ days to reach 20 show obedience, even though I'm sure I've sessioned daily (have missed a few days of 1 girl because I didn't notice how high SOP she was and left her in the litter, but with great food). These dogs feel like they're taking forever to get to 20 show obedience. It feels longer than normal, although I don't have statistics to support me.

So, is this the terrier stubbornness and I'd be better with sporting or herding dogs?

Or do custom rations deteriorate and need to be remade?
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/25/2018 5:31:42 AM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

Rations never change. Food has zero effect on Show obedience. Show obedience is only affected by sessioning.

Will
 Glittering
Basic User

Basic User
7/25/2018 6:13:57 AM reply with quote send message to Glittering Object to Post

I know Will.

Why are these rotten terriers taking so long to be obedient? Or is that a stupid question?
 Sukai Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/25/2018 6:49:52 AM reply with quote send message to Sukai Kennel Object to Post

I have had some dogs like that too, just show obedience by session every day, always all 3 sessions used with my kennel assistants
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/25/2018 7:34:22 AM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

posted by Glittering
I know Will.

Why are these rotten terriers taking so long to be obedient? Or is that a stupid question?

The game is modeled somewhat after real life. Terriers are stubborn and need more attention to train properly. So their obedience level will rise slowly in accordance with that. Every breed is different.
 DoogieG6521
Basic User

Basic User
7/25/2018 4:21:50 PM reply with quote send message to DoogieG6521 Object to Post

Terriers take a while to get to 20.
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/25/2018 4:43:05 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

I highly recommend keeping your long-established breed, but add a couple show pups of a quick sessioning breed to help fill in the gaps between getting your Sealys ready.

I find dabbling in another breed helps ease the pain of a slow sessioning breed.

Will

Glittering
Basic User

Basic User
7/25/2018 5:19:45 PM reply with quote send message to Glittering Object to Post

Hi Will

Everything trains faster than Sealys! Even Greyhounds!

I think it's that "Yeah, you and whose army?" mentality they have.

I'm probably extra twitchy as I have some nice pups that just won't hit that 20 show obedience. One has gained her championship without the 20 show obedience, but I think the others need a few more manners (I wonder did they bite the judge?).

Maybe they won't get to 20 show obedience until 121 days old!
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/25/2018 6:00:20 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I think Basenjis take about 39 days.
 Glittering
Basic User

Basic User
7/25/2018 6:03:20 PM reply with quote send message to Glittering Object to Post

Beats Sealys. Sigh.
 Grasslans
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/25/2018 7:48:16 PM reply with quote send message to Grasslans Object to Post

Bloodhounds are monsters in that respect. Pretty sure they just sit there and go "No" lucky they can still do well in the ring at only 18 in obedience
 Glittering
Basic User

Basic User
7/25/2018 7:52:11 PM reply with quote send message to Glittering Object to Post

Sealys bite the judge - Bloodhounds probably don't notice the judge.
 Grasslans
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/25/2018 10:00:43 PM reply with quote send message to Grasslans Object to Post

No, the bloodhounds are too busy dragging their handler where ever their nose wants to go.
 Lap of Luxury
Basic User

Basic User
7/26/2018 2:46:40 AM reply with quote send message to Lap of Luxury Object to Post

My breed, Shiba Inu takes about 36 days, but I start showing a good one at 19 Obedience. It can be a good gauge of how good the dog is, if it can beat fully sessioned ones.
 Gracefield
Basic User

Basic User
7/26/2018 10:11:55 AM reply with quote send message to Gracefield Object to Post

I've noticed in my breeds (mostly sporting), the older the dog, the longer show obedience takes as well. I start showing as soon as the dog is old enough if I have been sessioning from birth. Most are still placing with 18 or 19 show obedience.

Replies in this thread : 14

Did you know?
Since its centenary year in 1991, Crufts has officially been recognised as the world's largest and most prestigious dog show by the Guinness Book of Records, with a total of 22,973 dogs being exhibited that year.