Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 13

Author Topic : no placements in one show
 m e
Basic User

System.__ComObject
12/4/2021 12:59:46 AM reply with quote send message to m e Object to Post   

https://www.showdog.com/shows/breed_results.aspx?show=Canmore2+All+Breed+21-12-04&breed=Neapolitan+Mastiff

Is this a thing?
Did they both suck enough that the judge didn't award anything? Lol
Wondering if it is a glitch maybe.

-me
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/4/2021 8:43:32 AM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

Those dogs are altered. Altered dogs can only be shown in Nationals.

Will
 m e
Basic User

Basic User
12/4/2021 3:38:58 PM reply with quote send message to m e Object to Post

No they can be shown any time
It's just that they're not altered champions I guess
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/4/2021 5:44:09 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

Interesting.
 m e
Basic User

Basic User
12/4/2021 9:36:47 PM reply with quote send message to m e Object to Post

Thanks! I didn't see that they were neutered
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/4/2021 11:18:48 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

So they count towards points, which means I could enter 3 or 4 altered males and put a handler on one of my very low sop dogs and get majors? Interesting.
 Carolyn
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/5/2021 5:07:24 AM reply with quote send message to Carolyn Object to Post

https://www.showdog.com/help/topic.aspx?id=38#

Retired aka altered dogs can only compete in Obedience.
Nowhere does it say any altered dogs can be point-getters for unaltered dogs in Conformation.
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/5/2021 8:29:17 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/5/2021 9:53:04 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

I am very glad to hear that because that would be very wrong.
 m e
Basic User

Basic User
12/6/2021 3:07:37 AM reply with quote send message to m e Object to Post

...I wasn't aware this was a glitch.
I don't show IRL and thought it was just part of the game.

Black Raven Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/10/2021 10:27:48 PM reply with quote send message to Black Raven Kennels Object to Post

posted by XiZang
I am very glad to hear that because that would be very wrong.
Why? Canada has an altered dog and bitch category.
 Black Raven Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/10/2021 10:29:41 PM reply with quote send message to Black Raven Kennels Object to Post

I've shown altered dogs in shows here, I'd have to dig through the dead ones that placed. However I do not recall any points awarded though, so if I do find any, I will post results. happy :)
 m e
Basic User

Basic User
12/11/2021 7:27:25 PM reply with quote send message to m e Object to Post

Yes CKC has an altered class, but I think SD is based off of AKC.

https://www.ckc.ca/en/Files/Forms/Shows-Trials/Event-Rules-Regulations/Conformation-Show-Rules-and-Regulations.aspx Section 13

. .

As far as I know, the top handlers are available for bitches, dogs, and altered, which makes me think it's a separate class.

In my experience on SD, altered non-champion dogs/bitches don't place, altered champions can place over an intact champion, and altered champions can give points to intact champions or intact non-champions and vice versa.

https://www.showdog.com/shows/breed_results.aspx?show=Jester%20Dogs%20231st%20All%20Breed%20Show&breed=Irish%20Wolfhound
- Pond`s dog was neutered and shown and never placed.

IDK if being in "open" class along with intact dogs/bitches makes sense though and whether altered dogs/bitches should be included in entries that contribute to points for themselves/other dogs.

//confused..

Black Raven Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/11/2021 10:47:07 PM reply with quote send message to Black Raven Kennels Object to Post

posted by m e
Yes CKC has an altered class, but I think SD is based off of AKC.

https://www.ckc.ca/en/Files/Forms/Shows-Trials/Event-Rules-Regulations/Conformation-Show-Rules-and-Regulations.aspx Section 13

. .

As far as I know, the top handlers are available for bitches, dogs, and altered, which makes me think it's a separate class.

In my experience on SD, altered non-champion dogs/bitches don't place, altered champions can place over an intact champion, and altered champions can give points to intact champions or intact non-champions and vice versa.

https://www.showdog.com/shows/breed_results.aspx?show=Jester%20Dogs%20231st%20All%20Breed%20Show&breed=Irish%20Wolfhound
- Pond`s dog was neutered and shown and never placed.

IDK if being in "open" class along with intact dogs/bitches makes sense though and whether altered dogs/bitches should be included in entries that contribute to points for themselves/other dogs.

//confused..

That's the confusing thing. SD is based off of AKC but includes breeds and coat colors that are not accepted by the AKC. Some coat colors don't even exist as they are absorbed in utero. I think it would be nice to have altered classes (I agree they should not be in open classes etc), like AOAC, and veteran's or even Brace. I can also see how that would possibly be unfair unless it unaltered dogs earned some different type of point awards (as an example). I've had altered dogs in the game win BOB and BOS, no points awarded and that's fine with me. Altered dogs/bitches do have the ability to take a handler even if it is already assigned.

Replies in this thread : 13

Did you know?
A specialty show may be regional or national. A "Best in Show" win at a national specialty show is tremendously prestigious, indicating that the winning dog or bitch triumphed at a contest which attracted entries from the most serious fanciers of that breed in the country or continent. Some specialty shows attract international entries.