Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 16

Author Topic : Returning after many years
 Gritzy
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
10/6/2022 7:29:48 PM reply with quote send message to Gritzy Object to Post   

Title kind of says it all! I cannot remember the last time I played this game.
Randomly returning after well over 10 years! Is the site very active anymore? And could anyone give me any tips on starting your own line? I noticed there are basically no Redbone Coonhounds anymore.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/6/2022 9:15:47 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Welcome back!

Well, it's certainly not what it was 10 years ago but it says there are 895 paying accounts at this moment.

There have been no upgrades in the site for some time and trouble fixes are often not as prompt as they used to be. Nevertheless, there is still a hardcore group of die-hard players. And then, the costs have not changed in 20 some years either.

Several breeds have gone "extinct" but many of them have recovery projects working to restore them from old lines and sometimes as far back as starters. I suspect the Redbones would be in that position.

Some breeds have reached the "perfect" 100 but we now know that all perfect 100's are not the same which makes deciding on the keepers something of a challenge.

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 10/6/2022 9:17:21 PM
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/6/2022 9:37:53 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

One problem with so many breeds reaching 100 is that interest in them is waning. Many of my breeds (particularly the ones without a lot of color choices) seem to be disappearing. No pups, no studs..
 Ruadhan
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/7/2022 12:28:50 AM reply with quote send message to Ruadhan Object to Post

Welcome back from another player who has returned after a long absence! happy :)

-----
Last edited by Ruadhan on 10/7/2022 12:29:04 AM
 Gritzy
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/7/2022 10:33:55 AM reply with quote send message to Gritzy Object to Post

Oh man! Well it's good to know that there are still a decent amount of active players. I wasn't expecting that many of them.

After peeking around a bit, I did notice what you're talking about with certain breeds being basically extinct. I remember playing this as a kid and always wanting to start my own line...so I guess now would be a good time to do so! Very excited to get back into playing this and figuring everything out all over again.

Any tips to starting your own line?
 FromRussiaWithLove
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/7/2022 12:04:24 PM reply with quote send message to FromRussiaWithLove Object to Post

Patience! At least if your starting your line from starters. I know a few of the people have done it have worked over 10 years to get to current SOP!
 Tarot
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/7/2022 3:34:08 PM reply with quote send message to Tarot Object to Post

I am trying to reintroduce the self-masked blue in Afghan Hounds, starting from starters. It helps to have some kind of project in those 100 SOP breeds.
 Gritzy
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/8/2022 9:40:22 AM reply with quote send message to Gritzy Object to Post

Wow 10 years?! That is crazy dedication! Well, we shall see how my coonhounds go! Thanks everyone happy :)
 Caulfeilds Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/8/2022 12:11:15 PM reply with quote send message to Caulfeilds Kennels Object to Post

I am working on my own lines, Gritzy.
I started with starter dogs and breed true ie, Gen 1 to Gen 1 and so on.
I’ve been doing this since 2006 and not yet have I reached the current SOP. Not for the faint of heart, that’s for sure.

I have 2 other show kennels that keep me busy.

Carol
 Key Largo Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/23/2022 1:56:51 PM reply with quote send message to Key Largo Kennel Object to Post

posted by gaylanstudio
Welcome back!

Well, it's certainly not what it was 10 years ago but it says there are 895 paying accounts at this moment.

There have been no upgrades in the site for some time and trouble fixes are often not as prompt as they used to be. Nevertheless, there is still a hardcore group of die-hard players. And then, the costs have not changed in 20 some years either.

Several breeds have gone "extinct" but many of them have recovery projects working to restore them from old lines and sometimes as far back as starters. I suspect the Redbones would be in that position.

Some breeds have reached the "perfect" 100 but we now know that all perfect 100's are not the same which makes deciding on the keepers something of a challenge.

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 10/6/2022 9:17:21 PM

Key Largo Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/23/2022 1:58:13 PM reply with quote send message to Key Largo Kennel Object to Post

Several breeds have gone "extinct" but many of them have recovery projects working to restore them from old lines and sometimes as far back as starters.

GaylanStudios -Very Interesting, where do you find these recovery projects?
 Sunwing
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/23/2022 6:30:04 PM reply with quote send message to Sunwing Object to Post

posted by Key Largo Kennel
Several breeds have gone "extinct" but many of them have recovery projects working to restore them from old lines and sometimes as far back as starters.

You can try and check the source dog forum. apparently I missed the most recent attempt at reviving the OES lol. Sometimes people post advice or looking for dogs. I also checked the breed pages. Sometimes a glance at a kennel profile can tell you if they are working on something or not. Especially if there are young litters.

-----
Last edited by Sunwing on 11/23/2022 6:30:34 PM
 bsgk3
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/5/2023 2:50:36 PM reply with quote send message to bsgk3 Object to Post

I've been on the home-bred-champ-in-every-breed quest. I have had *MANY* breeds where I was lucky to get a bitch pup at all, much less have to get a source dog. I have been blessed to find hidden studs to keep the SOPs up. Though I would only stay in the breed long enough to finish a pup, I would announce in the forum if I was the last player in that breed. The SD Community would rally and take on the breed.

Had I not taken on the quest, I wouldn't have gotten to work with so many great folks (that I normally wouldn't have met just sticking with one breed per kennel)!
 bsgk3
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/5/2023 2:58:43 PM reply with quote send message to bsgk3 Object to Post

posted by Key Largo Kennel

Try looking at the All Time top dogs for the breed. It takes an inordinate amount of clicking, but you can find hidden studs that way, or also old dogs that can be reclaimed, if you ask nicely. I've reclaimed 600+ day old dogs before that I was able to get a litter (girl) or multiple litters (boy) out of before they passed away. I am happy to reclaim a dog (and have) for someone's project.
 Skyline EMD
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/15/2023 10:18:55 AM reply with quote send message to Skyline EMD Object to Post

Are there any dogs you can reclaim from rare breeds? I have a few kennels that would be able to help a breed.
 FlyingHigh Champions
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/15/2023 11:30:59 PM reply with quote send message to FlyingHigh Champions Object to Post

I just posted the following to the "exinct breeds" post post.

=======================================
I just picked up a Vizsla bitch and found a stud - both 98-99 SOP - anyone interested in a pup in a week or so?

There appears to be only one "active" kennel with one dog . . .

Just picked up another male that appears compatible with first girl (1/2 sibs) - he's at stud now (makes 3 I think).
=======================================

Skyline ABC
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/16/2023 8:30:36 AM reply with quote send message to Skyline ABC Object to Post

Thanks!

Replies in this thread : 16

Did you know?
The two largest American dog shows after Westminster are the National Dog Show (which is televised on Thanksgiving Day by NBC, usually after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade) and the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship.