Search

.com Forum · General

This thread is now closed

Replies in this thread : 204
Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : Should we allow users to buy showdog money with real money?
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

System.__ComObject Forum Moderator
6/27/2013 11:58:04 AM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post   

Pretty self explanatory question. Should we allow users to buy showdog money with real money?

Should we allow users to buy Showdog money with real money?
No 56.05%
Yes 43.95%
279 Total Votes | Votes from premium users carry more weight.
 Studio Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 12:48:33 PM reply with quote send message to Studio Dogs Object to Post

has to be the weirdest question ever!
 Degree
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 12:51:05 PM reply with quote send message to Degree Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

If you eliminate the ability to buy judges, by all means, yes (just kidding).

As it stands, no..

ETA: Agree with Everkai, too. Where can I buy money IRL? lol Must earn it.

-----
Last edited by Degree on 6/27/2013 12:52:19 PM

-----
Last edited by Degree on 6/27/2013 1:16:37 PM
 Everkai
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 12:51:26 PM reply with quote send message to Everkai Object to Post

No...the whole game is about managing your kennel. If you can't do that then...
 Everkai
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 12:53:27 PM reply with quote send message to Everkai Object to Post

posted by Degree
Where can I buy money IRL? lol Must earn it.

Very, very true.
 Shadowstorm Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 1:11:29 PM reply with quote send message to Shadowstorm Kennels Object to Post

People its a game, not RL. I say yes, simply because it is a game. I know I will never come to have a $25,000 in one hand (RL). But the heck, at least in this game I can!
 Degree
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 1:15:07 PM reply with quote send message to Degree Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

It may not be a real game but buying money will create yet another rift between the haves and have-nots, even with the Premium members.
I can only afford to have one standard account, not seven family accounts. Those that have a great amount of RL disposable income will run the game.

So, no, no, and no to this.

-----
Last edited by Degree on 6/27/2013 1:15:29 PM
 Peppertree
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 1:19:59 PM reply with quote send message to Peppertree Object to Post

I will probably never purchase SD money, but why not let others? If you don't want to, then don't, but how is it affecting you if others do? The only thing it would create is happier, more productive users that would benefit you and the entire game. They would have more money to sponsor shows, use your studs, buy the dogs you have for sale, etc. I'm just at a loss about how letting others have more money is negative to the game in any way?

YES!
 Shadowstorm Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 1:20:54 PM reply with quote send message to Shadowstorm Kennels Object to Post

Well from the looks of it, more people are voting YES then NO. Right now the poll stands at 41.94% for NO and 58.06% for YES.

The numbers may change. ..

-----
Last edited by Shadowstorm Kennels on 6/27/2013 1:23:39 PM
 Degree
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 1:30:56 PM reply with quote send message to Degree Object to Post

Sure, it may benefit a small percentage of members with extra dollars but there is no work involved to get it.
Let's just eliminate the greatest challenge is this game in one fell swoop.
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Administrator Forum Moderator
6/27/2013 1:35:41 PM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

Can we tone the thread down a bit?

It was put up because it's a suggestion that's been brought up many times in private. Just getting the overall opinion on it here.
 Studio Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 1:45:23 PM reply with quote send message to Studio Dogs Object to Post

limited amounts, and have to agree with taking the ability to buy judges off the table.
 Summerwind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 1:53:37 PM reply with quote send message to Summerwind Kennels Object to Post

I would say No as well, I think overall if would cause more problems than not. And I don't believe it will add anything to the activity/participation in the site across all breeds. And I am in a position that if I wanted to purchase SD with real money I could, that being said I still think it's not the best idea.

However, I am STRONGLY in favor of a better payout system/incentive system for earning in-game money. Something that is breed based, NOT BIS based, that way all players in all breeds stand the same chance at winning extra SD money, at the same time augmenting the participation in showing.
This is the general theme of the other thread that I know you are aware of Jeff. and I think it's a much better long term plan for SD.

Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 2:00:02 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

This whole idea has seemed to have stemmed from my post on the suggestion forum, but my thread has been closed, so I will continue it here.

From my original post:
"Not only would this generate more income for the site's owner, but it would sure help me (and I'm sure others) out a whole lot!

Once you're broke on ShowDog, your gameplay is nearly halted completely, and might I say for a very long period of time. There is such a dramatic decrease of what I am capable of doing. I can't afford to enter shows, my breed is so common that no one's buying my puppies, and the food bill keeps depleting my finances even on the cheap brands. My only option currently is to stop playing and wait while the low daily salary (I'm set at 10x salary with 4 sessions) adds mere dollars to my balance. Even then, my food bill eats up most of that daily amount.

It just seems like I'm going to waste my real money paying for a premium account just to "wait it out" for more sim cash, while all I can do is watch my quality dogs suffer from not showing.

I would very much like to be able to purchase more money so I can get back to enjoying ShowDog."

Now, I understand a lot of the gameplay is managing money. That is obvious. But just because someone goes broke in the game doesn't mean they cannot manage their finances, it means they are actively playing the game.

As a couple of members already mentioned, this is not real life. If this game was totally realistic as far as money goes, then quality puppies and dogs would be costing well over a mere $100. Studs fees would be far more expensive. Show entry fees would be $30-35. Handlers would have fees. Show payouts would be practically non-existent. Salaries would be so much more. The list goes on. This is a GAME, so all the rules of real life just cannot apply here.

Someone made a brilliant point in that having the option to purchase simulation money with real money would only help ShowDog. This would give members the opportunity to do so much more in the game. There would be more people sponsoring shows, buying dogs, using outside studs, etc.

I sell all of my extra sessions every single day. The dogs I'm not actively showing are on cheaper food rations. In fact, at the current time, I can't afford to show AT ALL. I forever home/put up for sale the dogs that aren't useful to my breeding program.

My point is, I'm not bad at managing my finances in the game. In real life, I have my own breeding and showing business (horses, not dogs) and while it is difficult to make a wealthy living off of this type of business, I can pay my bills. My "salary" doesn't depend on how much money other people have, as it does in SD. The economics in SD are different. They have to be, because again, this is a game.

I will say it again, it would only help the game if members had the opportunity to purchase more simulation money. There aren't enough active players with the cash to make the game as good as it could be. I shouldn't be forced to spend my RL money each month to let my kennel practically rot while I wait for my SD balance to very slowly gain mere dollars.

I don't understand how it's unfair to other players if members can purchase sim money. If you choose not to pay real money for game money, that is your decision. If that's the case, then managing your SD money wouldn't change a single bit. In fact, you would benefit from the players who DO choose to buy more sim cash, because they would be actively enhancing the game with more shows and more purchases. The same goes if you just can't afford to spend your RL money for game money. Your gameplay should not be negatively affected, because you would be playing exactly as you did prior to this option. However, the economical changes would only be benefiting you too.

Ultimately, I say YES. A big, fat YES. There are only a handful of wealthy members in this game and they are so beneficial to the whole operation. Things would only get better for everyone if we had more members like that. If I could purchase more simulation money, I would have the opportunity to be far more active in my gameplay, which in turn would benefit everyone happy :)
 Shutterfox
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 2:02:21 PM reply with quote send message to Shutterfox Object to Post

The post above was from me. No idea why it logged me out. But, that was my post razz :p
 Shutterfox
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 2:04:04 PM reply with quote send message to Shutterfox Object to Post

Sorry Jeff, I didn't know this thread was so heated. I thought it was great to get so many different views. I wasn't trying to cause an argument. Just thought we were stating our views.
 Summerwind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 2:18:49 PM reply with quote send message to Summerwind Kennels Object to Post

Shutterfox - I get what you're saying, and I do agree the money management situation is way too hard with not enough ways to earn money.

However, there is no guarantee that allowing people to purchase SD money will add any activity or participation to the game. I could choose to buy SD money and then because my kennel is solvent could take all my studs off public use and not sell puppies.

By adding incentives to showing your dogs, and adding them to breed level, it would encourage all players in all breeds to show there dogs. If they are making money showing, they will keep showing. Which will keep the activity level up on SD and will hopefully be more attractive to new players as well, I mean if the game was busy and booming with activity more people would likely stay and pay for the game.

-----
Last edited by Summerwind Kennels on 6/27/2013 2:19:15 PM
 BeauBlanc
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 2:27:50 PM reply with quote send message to BeauBlanc Object to Post

Just throwing this out there - I voted yes, but I think it should only be yes to an extent if that makes any sense. happy :)

So, if someone is in debt or has up to $5000 (or something), they should be able to purchase money, but if they have more than that they shouldn't be able too. Or, they can purchase enough money to put them up to $10000, but beyond $10000 they cannot purchase anything, to keep the more realistic aspect of the game in? My only concern would be that those who have a lot of extra money laying around would overuse the ability and max out all of their kennels, so putting some sort of limit in place would prevent this.

Everkai
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 2:51:17 PM reply with quote send message to Everkai Object to Post

posted by Degree
Sure, it may benefit a small percentage of members with extra dollars but there is no work involved to get it.
Let's just eliminate the greatest challenge is this game in one fell swoop.

Exactly. If you can't play the game fairly then I'm sorry.
 Everkai
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 2:57:00 PM reply with quote send message to Everkai Object to Post

posted by BeauBlanc
Just throwing this out there - I voted yes, but I think it should only be yes to an extent if that makes any sense. happy :)

So, if someone is in debt or has up to $5000 (or something), they should be able to purchase money, but if they have more than that they shouldn't be able too. Or, they can purchase enough money to put them up to $10000, but beyond $10000 they cannot purchase anything, to keep the more realistic aspect of the game in? My only concern would be that those who have a lot of extra money laying around would overuse the ability and max out all of their kennels, so putting some sort of limit in place would prevent this.

IF this is put in, I agree with this. Beau's post is the only post that actually gave me a "we're helping the game" vibe.

But again, if you put yourself in that much debt then you don't know how to finance your kennel correctly. You say you do, but if you did you would not be in debt. The only reasons I go in debt is overrun with dogs I don't need, keeping puppies instead of FHing, not selling my sessions, and once I take care of that I'm fine.
 rottidox
Basic User

Basic User
6/27/2013 3:11:10 PM reply with quote send message to rottidox Object to Post

I vote yes, but maybe only $5000 at a time once a month or once every other month. I love this game have been playing for 8 years ,have 2 family accounts and have chosen rare breeds in all of them. I am broke all the time due to the lack of players in my breeds, no puppy sales and no stud fees. Allowing me to purchase (at a reasonable price) money when I really need it would really be helpful, But I'll go with the flow....happy :)

This thread is now closed

Replies in this thread : 204
Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
<< prev page next page >>

Thread Closed

Did you know?
The two largest American dog shows after Westminster are the National Dog Show (which is televised on Thanksgiving Day by NBC, usually after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade) and the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship.