Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 17

Author Topic : Forums are very quiet
 Oakwood Creek
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/22/2015 4:08:02 AM reply with quote send message to Oakwood Creek Object to Post   

Is it holiday time? Is everyone working long hours? Are people just getting fed up? SD seems very quiet at the moment, no one with problems, no one with exciting wins, no stunning puppies?

I know I've seriously considered not renewing my family sub next quarter simply because I'm bored with the game. I've been back a year soon after 10 years away and I'm wondering if the time I spend on SD could be better used.

How does everyone else feel? What would make SD more exciting?
 Oakwood Creek
Basic User

Basic User
9/22/2015 4:29:09 AM reply with quote send message to Oakwood Creek Object to Post

Just wondered how people feel the difference in time zones affects SD? Not sure of the logistical nightmares but how about at least 2 shows a day being judged at 12 noon rather than 12 midnight? The entries for those shows closing just before noon rather than just before midnight. It might make entering a bit more even (ie those in UK/Europe/Australia for example could be the 'last minute' entries for a change!)
 Quileute Legends
Basic User

Basic User
9/22/2015 6:34:31 AM reply with quote send message to Quileute Legends Object to Post

I agree the last 2 weeks have been deadly quiet on SD - and I have also felt a little 'over it' with the game - but I am continuing to play as I still get some pleasure out of it.
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/22/2015 7:46:03 AM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

I myself have been on here non stop and I agree that it's quiet. I've been busy with school and work though, so maybe everyone else is too.

Maybe we could do some kind of Oktoberfest in the forums. Set up some games and contests and whoever wins gets a nice banner and some money?? We used to do that all the time on ShowCats over the summer. We would put games and contests in various forums and the winners would get money prizes up to 1,000$ and a banner saying they won this or that contest.

Thoughts?
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
9/22/2015 7:52:12 AM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Based on my game play on other sites this is where regular updates can be best used to their advantage - creating excitement and anticipation in the game and among the players.

Let's say for example we were promised at least one new breed pic each month during the 2nd week of the month and one update/tweak during the final week of the month.

It gives folks something to look forward to - for the current month and keeps you sticking around to see what next month's update will be too.
For the most part, these are things that were going to or need to happen anyway - so it's really nothing 'extra' - but by 'promoting' and 'scheduling' them - you get the added 'marketing' bonus.

Maybe you have the players vote in a poll on what update is next - what 'group' the next pics Picardy works on are from... Maybe players submit suggestions for updates...

anyway, just thinking (wishing) out loud this morning

-----
Last edited by rhondacline on 9/22/2015 7:52:34 AM
 Phlint
Basic User

Basic User
9/22/2015 8:16:00 AM reply with quote send message to Phlint Object to Post

I've noticed this trend in other games I play. One particular game I belong to use to have 40+ people in their chat room every day. I logged in the other day, and there were less than 10 and no one was actually saying anything. :/ I don't think it's just Showdog that's suffering lately.

That being said, updates/something to look forward to/something to build excitement could certainly help, in my opinion. It's worth a try anyway.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/22/2015 11:16:21 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Well I have no thoughts of quitting. Yes, the game is quieter but I think one factor might be that a lot of us have been at least aware of the game even if not actually playing for some time. We're older and have lost some of that youthful exuberence, sigh (lol).

I agree that bringing in updates ups the dialogue and excitement factors but we have just resently had the enhansed GCHs added (although there is a little work to do on the visuals and messaging).

There is another game in the series that I play that appears to have been orphaned. It needs attention desperately!

Now, all said, Jeff has told us that he is involved in real life issues that at the moment require his time, so sit tight on the changes. In the meantime, we could start a forum thread and/or poll on what we'd like to see in the future - throw some thoughts around.
 Summerwind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/22/2015 12:29:13 PM reply with quote send message to Summerwind Kennels Object to Post

I have no intentions of leaving and am quietly playing with my dogs. It brings me pleasure and a little escape everyday.

I've played consistently since 2003, when I was young and in college I had lots of time to really get involved. Now I'm a Mom to a very busy 1 year old and my 2 RL dogs, they take alot of my time and attention, so I definitely don't get on as much as I used to.

But I still love it and enjoy it, I set goals for myself and try to attain them. I'm thinking of restarting the "breed a champion in every breed" quest again, I have completed it once before, but it's fun now that breeds are getting pictures and colors happy :)

I love the days we get Picardy photos, my favorite days, but I also understand she's one person doing a huge job amongst her RL too, so patience it is.

Jeff does his best even if sometimes he seems to drop the ball too, but he also has a RL and is entitled to that, in my opinion.

I love SD and will keep playing.
 DoogieG6521
Basic User

Basic User
9/22/2015 1:50:52 PM reply with quote send message to DoogieG6521 Object to Post

Always slows a bit at this time of year. Back to school and college time.
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
9/22/2015 1:54:44 PM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

It is very quiet. I too have thought about not renewing....I love SD and I love the people I have met here but it's not very thrilling when nobody is sharing anything.....

Maybe it is just because the kids going back to school, college starting back up, and we are coming up on some holidays.

Hopefully it gets better.
 Dead Until Dark
Basic User

Basic User
9/22/2015 4:16:19 PM reply with quote send message to Dead Until Dark Object to Post

posted by Little River Kennel
I myself have been on here non stop and I agree that it's quiet. I've been busy with school and work though, so maybe everyone else is too.

Maybe we could do some kind of Oktoberfest in the forums. Set up some games and contests and whoever wins gets a nice banner and some money?? We used to do that all the time on ShowCats over the summer. We would put games and contests in various forums and the winners would get money prizes up to 1,000$ and a banner saying they won this or that contest.

Thoughts?

I like the idea! I could contribute to prize money, no banner making skills though!

Clay Creek Falls
Basic User

Basic User
9/22/2015 7:23:41 PM reply with quote send message to Clay Creek Falls Object to Post

I've definitely noticed SD and the forums getting a lot quieter, not over the last 2 weeks but I'd say at least the last month or so. I've seen a few players return, but I've also seen a few more leave. Also dog numbers in general appear to be dropping too...

The school holiday period has just started for us Aussies here, so maybe we'll get a few more players signing up in the next two weeks?

Fingers crossed SD can pick up it's popularity again, it's such a great game happy :)

Lindsey
 Oakwood Creek
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2015 3:07:45 AM reply with quote send message to Oakwood Creek Object to Post

Thanks everyone for your comments. I think giving us goals or promises of something new each month to look forward to are great ideas. I also love the Oktoberfest idea!
How about a Halloween competition of some sort, my minds a blank atm but I'm sure some of you have great ideas that might work across SD.
 kc meadows
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2015 7:16:53 AM reply with quote send message to kc meadows Object to Post

Everything sounds great can't wait to see what all your great creative minds come up with.
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2015 9:04:29 AM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

I've noticed this a bit, though I haven't really been paying attention much lately haha. I'm part of the people who are busy with school and stuff, I've been sort of swamped. >.>

I like the Halloween / Oktoberfest idea! I'll start on a separate competition/celebration thread now, I'll try to get it done soon. wink ;)
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2015 9:41:54 AM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I love the idea of having some ‘extra’ competitions/challenges. What about:

*Owner Handled Challenge* - Participants would enter by posting their dog’s information on a forum thread. We might need to establish some guidelines for the dog. The dog would be shown in ONLY Owner Handler shows for the month. At the end of the month each participant would update their ‘entry post’ with their dogs Breed and Group Ranking. The top ranking dog would win.
(The criteria might need to be changed/tweaked – but I think this could be a fun base to build on.)

I'd love to see some challenges with dual titles (Ch/GCh and CD/CDX)

Edited to add - I am seeing these as Player hosted challenges - where the sponsor/host starts a thread and describes the challenge/prizes/etc - then players enter by posting on that thread with their entry info - then the sponsor/host judges based on the criteria indicated in the original post.

-----
Last edited by rhondacline on 9/23/2015 9:45:21 AM
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2015 9:44:54 AM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

www.showdog.com/forum/read.aspx?id=459179

That's what I've got so far, but I love your owner-handler idea rhondacline! laugh :D I have to head out for school now but I'll make sure to edit that in once I get back. happy :)

I'll also get on brainstorming some dual-title contests. I just put up some more 'obvious' stuff for now but I'll try to add more later.
 Oakwood Creek
Basic User

Basic User
9/23/2015 3:56:22 PM reply with quote send message to Oakwood Creek Object to Post

Love the owner-handler idea !! I never enter those shows so for me it certainly would present a challenge - I'm up for it!

Replies in this thread : 17

Did you know?
An obedience trial is a dog sport in which a dog must perfectly execute a predefined set of tasks when directed to do so by his handler