Replies in this thread : 44
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>

Flush
Basic User

Basic User
12/30/2019 1:17:32 AM reply with quote send message to Flush Object to Post

posted by
I first played in 2005/6 when there was a max of 12 sessions/no salary. It was incredibly hard to start out then and stay solvent...$2500...to buy some good stock, often un sessioned so feeding an expensive custom ration.
Then there were stud fees to pay because you want to use the better stud dogs available at $100/$250 a pop. You only had enough sessions to get 4 puppies ready for the ring, and no salary coming in..there was no daily sign in bonus then, and by the time you have homnebred pups ready for the ring the balance would be at a few hundred dollars ..then you had to find entry fees.

In a quiet breed you couldnt afford stack an empty show, most 45 shows were pretty full anyway. There were some free to enter shows then but they were so full unless you had a real star..unlikley when just starting out..you had no chance anyway. So, while all this is going on the bitches that bred you the first better puppies but not good enough to show, were sitting in the kennel doing nothing because you couldnt afford another stud and didnt want to waste them on a 30 day homebred that was not up to scratch.

Of course it didnt affect the already succesful kennels as they could afford to buy extra sessions and stay at the top of the breed because they could breed/show whenever they wanted and won/placed in groups with shows of 1000 entries, to boost their balances.Nothing wrong with that...but it made it somuch harder. To begin with you do need some salary so that meant even fewer sessions...8 a day.
I perservered bacause I enjoyed it so much and have been top of nearly every breed I have been in (about 12) even if it was just now and then.

I wonder how many will perservere like that now and to go back to penny pinching will be so miserable and I will leave.

I'm starting to wonder whether Jeff really wants to continue hosting this game or if he is doing a "constructive dismissal" and hope it fizzles out and goes away. Jeff used to be much more interactive with us, and I loved the regular blogs..it felt more like we were in a "club" with a cosy sort of feel (or was it just me?). Now we never get anything new or any improvements made or any reasonable requests for small changes granted. Years ago when there were so many more family kennels he must have been minted and I would have thought there was enough to employ someone as a mod to handle day to day enquiries. I've tried not to bother admin over the years but I have had a couple of serious problems in the last few years and never even had a reply let alone any action/advice.

Shows results and puppies are often very late which can be incredibly inconvenient for people with a very busy life...i.e. I had litters planned for Christmas day because for me, I was going to be very busy Boxing Day and the few days after. I had time on C.Day to sort the whole kennel depending on the quality of the puppies born and now my kennel is overstocked..older puppies jumping into the adult box.. so until I have 2/3 hours to spare I cant show.

I also cant continue with my January breeding plan because we STILL dont know how many sessions we are going to get in January even though I started a new thread yeserday so he would see it. It would take him only moments to reply.

I've got older males I need to use before FH but dont know what to do now. I'm REALLY fed up and so disappointed with this. We are paying to play and always, the news is bad. I hate the hundreds of judges. It used to be you could campaign a dog under a few judges that you knew liked it..just like in RL..but that has all gone. Now its so hit and miss because you never really get used to learn completely who likes what.

There are so many little changes that used to be suggested that would improve the game so much for many, but we never get any so mostly we've stopped asking.
sad :(

This was my post..got timed out
 Flush
Basic User

Basic User
12/30/2019 1:18:16 AM reply with quote send message to Flush Object to Post

posted by
I first played in 2005/6 when there was a max of 12 sessions/no salary. It was incredibly hard to start out then and stay solvent...$2500...to buy some good stock, often un sessioned so feeding an expensive custom ration.
Then there were stud fees to pay because you want to use the better stud dogs available at $100/$250 a pop. You only had enough sessions to get 4 puppies ready for the ring, and no salary coming in..there was no daily sign in bonus then, and by the time you have homnebred pups ready for the ring the balance would be at a few hundred dollars ..then you had to find entry fees.

In a quiet breed you couldnt afford stack an empty show, most 45 shows were pretty full anyway. There were some free to enter shows then but they were so full unless you had a real star..unlikley when just starting out..you had no chance anyway. So, while all this is going on the bitches that bred you the first better puppies but not good enough to show, were sitting in the kennel doing nothing because you couldnt afford another stud and didnt want to waste them on a 30 day homebred that was not up to scratch.

Of course it didnt affect the already succesful kennels as they could afford to buy extra sessions and stay at the top of the breed because they could breed/show whenever they wanted and won/placed in groups with shows of 1000 entries, to boost their balances.Nothing wrong with that...but it made it somuch harder. To begin with you do need some salary so that meant even fewer sessions...8 a day.
I perservered bacause I enjoyed it so much and have been top of nearly every breed I have been in (about 12) even if it was just now and then.

I wonder how many will perservere like that now and to go back to penny pinching will be so miserable and I will leave.

I'm starting to wonder whether Jeff really wants to continue hosting this game or if he is doing a "constructive dismissal" and hope it fizzles out and goes away. Jeff used to be much more interactive with us, and I loved the regular blogs..it felt more like we were in a "club" with a cosy sort of feel (or was it just me?). Now we never get anything new or any improvements made or any reasonable requests for small changes granted. Years ago when there were so many more family kennels he must have been minted and I would have thought there was enough to employ someone as a mod to handle day to day enquiries. I've tried not to bother admin over the years but I have had a couple of serious problems in the last few years and never even had a reply let alone any action/advice.

Shows results and puppies are often very late which can be incredibly inconvenient for people with a very busy life...i.e. I had litters planned for Christmas day because for me, I was going to be very busy Boxing Day and the few days after. I had time on C.Day to sort the whole kennel depending on the quality of the puppies born and now my kennel is overstocked..older puppies jumping into the adult box.. so until I have 2/3 hours to spare I cant show.

I also cant continue with my January breeding plan because we STILL dont know how many sessions we are going to get in January even though I started a new thread yeserday so he would see it. It would take him only moments to reply.

I've got older males I need to use before FH but dont know what to do now. I'm REALLY fed up and so disappointed with this. We are paying to play and always, the news is bad. I hate the hundreds of judges. It used to be you could campaign a dog under a few judges that you knew liked it..just like in RL..but that has all gone. Now its so hit and miss because you never really get used to learn completely who likes what.

There are so many little changes that used to be suggested that would improve the game so much for many, but we never get any so mostly we've stopped asking.

Barnsforde
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/30/2019 6:35:25 AM reply with quote send message to Barnsforde Object to Post

Every so often a poll comes up asking would you recommend the game to a friend, 1-10.
The problem is there is no feedback form to say why you have given the score. Without this feedback the poll is meaningless and irrelevant.
 Barnsforde
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/30/2019 6:35:30 AM reply with quote send message to Barnsforde Object to Post

Every so often a poll comes up asking would you recommend the game to a friend, 1-10.
The problem is there is no feedback form to say why you have given the score. Without this feedback the poll is meaningless and irrelevant.
 LoupGarou
Basic User

Basic User
12/30/2019 8:37:05 AM reply with quote send message to LoupGarou Object to Post

posted by Flush

I've got older males I need to use before FH but dont know what to do now.

So, come up with three breeding plans: one that has 100 sessions going forward, one that has 48 sessions going forward, and one that has 12 sessions going forward. That way you'll have a plan, a backup, and a contingency, no matter what number of sessions is announced. It's more work, but at least you'll have an idea of what you can do in the upcoming months.
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/30/2019 8:51:42 AM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

Flush,

When the game had more restraints, it was more popular.

Game is getting easier and easier. Popularity still decreases.

Just an observation.

Will
 Rossett Spaniels
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/30/2019 10:12:41 AM reply with quote send message to Rossett Spaniels Object to Post

When I started in 2005, American Cockers had a horrible picture. That didn’t stop people playing. We had a few breeders playing too. Plus, we were the Chattiest group in the entire game.
No one complained then about the non show quality photo of the buff Cocker on the table with his tail tucked looking scared.

I still think if people turn away from this game, it probably isn’t about a picture.

Carol
(Clwyd, Rossett and Caulfeilds)
 Flush
Basic User

Basic User
12/30/2019 1:22:57 PM reply with quote send message to Flush Object to Post

I dont have time to work out 3 breeding plans.Its not much to ask for Jeff to confirm the new amount of Sessions v Salary.

Also my favourite breed is nearing 100 SOP and as Jeff has said there will be no more re-sets, the thought of starting again from scratch is not appealing
 LoupGarou
Basic User

Basic User
12/30/2019 1:54:37 PM reply with quote send message to LoupGarou Object to Post

posted by Flush
I dont have time to work out 3 breeding plans.Its not much to ask for Jeff to confirm the new amount of Sessions v Salary.

Also my favourite breed is nearing 100 SOP and as Jeff has said there will be no more re-sets, the thought of starting again from scratch is not appealing

I get it. I lack a lot of time, too. But if you had worked on it a little each day from the time you asked your question until now, you might have had time to come up with a couple of plans. Even if you assumed the worst and were pleasantly surprised and got more sessions, you would have had a starting place. As the saying goes, "sometimes it's better to light a single candle, than to sit and curse the dark."

There are lots of breeds out there that are nowhere near 100. You could always show your favorite breed, even if you did not have time for a competitive breeding kennel, and find another to breed up a bit.

I know . . . but they're just suggestions. You can take them or leave them as you will. laugh :D
 me__0021
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/2/2020 3:51:02 AM reply with quote send message to me__0021 Object to Post

So it’s the 2nd of January and I still note that the sessions are at 100.

I do appreciate this just wondering what is going on.

Jessica
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/2/2020 9:53:47 AM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

posted by me__0021
So it’s the 2nd of January and I still note that the sessions are at 100.

I do appreciate this just wondering what is going on.

Jessica

Don't bring it up and maybe he will just leave it. :P lol

Will
 StarGazer Shelties
Basic User

Basic User
1/6/2020 10:04:25 PM reply with quote send message to StarGazer Shelties Object to Post

I still wish we had select dog and select bitch like AKC for grand points who cares if you get 3rd or 4 in breed if no points aren’t attached to it. I’ve also emailed several time about points not being given correctly. If a class bitch beats out CH bitches for BOS, you should include those CH bitches in the count for points.
 Defasher03
Basic User

Basic User
1/6/2020 11:54:26 PM reply with quote send message to Defasher03 Object to Post

I definitely think adding pictures for all of the breeds that don't have them would help. I, like many people, am a very visual person. There are many rarer breeds I would love to get involved with but the lack of images is the only reason I don't. It will be too boring for me to just read a description of a color. I'm sure many people could agree. Why have the pictures not been uploaded? Is it because no one has drawn them? Is it too difficult for one person? I don't know anything about that sort of stuff.
 Akirate
Basic User

Basic User
1/7/2020 3:40:08 AM reply with quote send message to Akirate Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

That's a pity... I see no point playing the "100" breeds without having any clue what's their real value is - visually seeing only 10s for traits. There's no visual glue of progress we could measure...

-----
Last edited by Akirate on 1/7/2020 3:42:21 AM
 Taylynn
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/7/2020 7:12:37 AM reply with quote send message to Taylynn Object to Post

posted by Rossett Spaniels
When I started in 2005, American Cockers had a horrible picture. That didn’t stop people playing. We had a few breeders playing too. Plus, we were the Chattiest group in the entire game.
No one complained then about the non show quality photo of the buff Cocker on the table with his tail tucked looking scared.

I still think if people turn away from this game, it probably isn’t about a picture.

Carol
(Clwyd, Rossett and Caulfeilds)

As many people have said. People played then, but basically all the dogs had bad pictures. You attract more people with a finished game. Some dogs having custom photos and others don't looks unfinished and doesn't add to the game. It takes away.
 LoupGarou
Basic User

Basic User
1/7/2020 7:55:03 AM reply with quote send message to LoupGarou Object to Post

posted by Akirate

That's a pity... I see no point playing the "100" breeds without having any clue what's their real value is - visually seeing only 10s for traits. There's no visual glue of progress we could measure...

-----
Last edited by Akirate on 1/7/2020 3:42:21 AM
Breeders can "reset" their own breeds by adding source dogs into the mix.
 chestara
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/8/2020 10:04:25 PM reply with quote send message to chestara Object to Post

I didn't even notice a problem over Christmas.

My problem with the game is I have several breeds that are at 100 SOP. It is truly boring to play when all the dogs are 100. We need another reset so there is some challenge. I have been playing since 2003 and am thinking of leaving. Yeah, I could change breeds but one of my breeds I have had since I started and have done so much for the breed I simply don't feel I can give it up for another breed. Actually did go into a new breed and what happens - am not in the breed 6 months until it, too, went all 100s.
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/8/2020 11:33:12 PM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

posted by chestara
I didn't even notice a problem over Christmas.

My problem with the game is I have several breeds that are at 100 SOP. It is truly boring to play when all the dogs are 100. We need another reset so there is some challenge. I have been playing since 2003 and am thinking of leaving. Yeah, I could change breeds but one of my breeds I have had since I started and have done so much for the breed I simply don't feel I can give it up for another breed. Actually did go into a new breed and what happens - am not in the breed 6 months until it, too, went all 100s.

Maybe try what LoupGarou suggested. Breed to a source dog.
 Akirate
Basic User

Basic User
1/9/2020 6:43:24 AM reply with quote send message to Akirate Object to Post

Breeders can "reset" their own breeds by adding source dogs into the mix.
True, but it's a pitty to loose all the hard work (for example pedigrees etc).
 LoupGarou
Basic User

Basic User
1/9/2020 8:15:30 AM reply with quote send message to LoupGarou Object to Post

True, but it's a pitty to loose all the hard work (for example pedigrees etc).
You don't have to lose the pedigrees if you just breed a few source dogs into the mix (for example, one per breeder active in the breed). It's just adding uncertainty to the tight gene pool, while preserving the pedigrees of the past. It does everything a reset would do, but has the added bonus of reducing COI. Because so many high-level dogs are behind the breeding, it probably wouldn't take long for the "reset" breeds to reach the 80s again.

Replies in this thread : 44
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The largest and most prestigious dog show in America is the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, was established in 1877 and is held annually at Madison Square Garden in New York City.