.com Forum · Obedience Forum

Replies in this thread : 145
Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : Obedience Chat
 Aussiewolfsister
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
3/12/2015 4:26:27 AM reply with quote send message to Aussiewolfsister Object to Post   

Hi Mournebrake, I read your post in the general forum and I have stuck my nose in this forum. I have started this thread in the hopes that people doing obedience use it for brags, comments and help.

I am starting the ball rolling. I trained one dog up to UD a couple of years ago when I first started. I have just started obedience again and have three dogs being sessioned and trialed, spread over 3 accounts (one account "Aussiewolf" is just for obedience). So far, this time around, have trained two CDX's.

Hope to see people's posts happy :)
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/12/2015 7:54:30 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Hi, I'm really pleased that you have posted on here. Every dog that I have I'm trying to get all the way through to UD. It was beginning to seem impossible to make room for new pups as a basic but I've been given a family kennel upgrade today courtesy of Euphoria which lasts until end of May so I'm going to breed for better SOP and continue to show in Conformation while training for all obedience titles too.
I started on here when it started up in 2003 and left in 2005 having achieved considerable success. I decided to come back end of 2014 after Jeff sent out emails and am hooked again. I never trained any dogs for obedience first time round (not sure we had it tbh) and am enjoying it this time, my only frustrations are that I can't get my head around the time it seems to be taking to get CDX titles now as I'm sure that my dogs were getting trained quicker 2 months ago than they are now.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
3/12/2015 8:00:24 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I tried training dogs for obedience, but ended up having more dogs than sessions, so I had to abandon my hopes of obedience for the time being.

Congrats on getting a spot from Euphorias!
 King Blazzo Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/12/2015 8:00:26 PM reply with quote send message to King Blazzo Kennels Object to Post

me and my wife are racing to see who can finish a UD title first
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/13/2015 7:06:07 AM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

KB that settles a thought racing around my head - I know the majority of players tend to be female, but I wondered if you were a chap (sounds awful but please don't take it so) you're often talking 'macho' breeds, weight pulling, etc. I'm delighted you and your wife (what is her kennel name?) are training for obedience. Didn't I see your Bloodhound bitch Josey got her CD title recently?
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/13/2015 7:08:37 AM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

I'm currently trialling a Bergamasco for CDX and a Borzoi for UD. The Borzoi competes conformation and has his GCH title (in SD not RL lol)
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/13/2015 7:11:13 AM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

I have always bought in an extra 10 sessions a day for my basic kennel so I can give each of 5 dogs 3 sessions which does mean once they are on 20's all the 3 sessions go for teaching obedience exercises.
I have no idea how I'll manage once the kennel is filled lol.
 Aussiewolfsister
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/13/2015 7:25:32 AM reply with quote send message to Aussiewolfsister Object to Post

this post has been edited 3 time(s)

I am currently preparing two dogs for Utility class, and one for Novice. Once the UD dogs are completely sessioned, I will be starting two more in Novice.
The two dogs being prepared for UD are Keeshonds
GCH DenKees Teshub CDX and CH DenKees Faerie Silver CDX.

The dog preparing for Novice is a Norwegian Buhund
GCH Herori Caraway of Magic Acres.

In real life I am trialing a Keeshond in Open class (CDX). She has two passes to get to gain her title.

-----
Last edited by Aussiewolfsister on 3/13/2015 7:30:26 AM
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/13/2015 11:59:24 AM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

The dedication required to train and trial an obedience dog in RL is immense so you have done amazing things.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/13/2015 12:12:07 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

My Borzoi bitch GCH Outjesteds Two For The Dough

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13590697

reaches 120 days old next Tuesday and as she's whelping a litter this weekend she won't be shown again. She is the one dog I've not trained at all for obedience and she has 5's all through so I'll try and concentrate on training her for Novice (CD) but keep full records of how her numbers rise per training session per day, and how long it takes for her (an older dog) to gain her title.

It would be great if anyone traing a dog from 5's would keep records and post on this thread - we might notice a pattern or discover shortcuts to finishing.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/13/2015 12:28:17 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

My Borzoi dog CH Langland Obsidian CDX

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13700907

is currently being trained for CDX. His figures are:

HoL 19
Figure Eight 19
Heel Free 18
Recall 18
Long Sit 19

He qualified CD with the above

Long Down 18
Drop on Recall 19
Ret on Flat 19
Ret over High Jump 19
Broad Jump 19

He qualified CDX with the above

Signal Exer. 16
Scent Discrimination 15
Directed Retrieve 13
Mov Stand for Exam 9
Directed Jumping 8

As I'm currently training for UD I'm giving him 3 training exercise sessions a day. I've noticed that these exercises once they reach 16 need 3 sessions each exercise to rise a point, so in theory if you have a CDX dog on 16's it will take another 12 sessions per exercise to rise to 20 - I'm thinking that's far too much and too long - even if I was able to give him 3 sessions a day as I do now (I won't as I have a litter due and will keep puppies) it would take me 60 sessions to get 20's from 16's so another 20 days minimum to achieve this.
 King Blazzo Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/13/2015 3:34:05 PM reply with quote send message to King Blazzo Kennels Object to Post

posted by mournebrake
KB that settles a thought racing around my head - I know the majority of players tend to be female, but I wondered if you were a chap (sounds awful but please don't take it so) you're often talking 'macho' breeds, weight pulling, etc. I'm delighted you and your wife (what is her kennel name?) are training for obedience. Didn't I see your Bloodhound bitch Josey got her CD title recently?
she is TALORSHIA AVALANCE. AND YA when i bought josey she had almost all of her seasoning to get her cd so after i bred her i started working on her GHC and CD. In my basic kennel i am working on Bloodlines Porky Pirate and he's a GSD.
 King Blazzo Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/13/2015 3:35:17 PM reply with quote send message to King Blazzo Kennels Object to Post

and ya i have been noticing lately that as i find out about the gender of a player it is 98% female happy :)
 King Blazzo Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/13/2015 5:11:40 PM reply with quote send message to King Blazzo Kennels Object to Post

posted by mournebrake
My Borzoi bitch GCH Outjesteds Two For The Dough

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13590697

reaches 120 days old next Tuesday and as she's whelping a litter this weekend she won't be shown again. She is the one dog I've not trained at all for obedience and she has 5's all through so I'll try and concentrate on training her for Novice (CD) but keep full records of how her numbers rise per training session per day, and how long it takes for her (an older dog) to gain her title.

It would be great if anyone traing a dog from 5's would keep records and post on this thread - we might notice a pattern or discover shortcuts to finishing.

i just decided to get a cd on one of my rottweilers because he was too old for regular shows. it really didn't take long at all. i didn't bother getting them all to 20s though just 19
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/13/2015 5:17:05 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

KB you dont need 20's for CD or CDX but from talking with the players I've PM'd who are gaining UD titles it seems as if you need 20's bottom line for UD.
 OTT Mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/13/2015 6:10:04 PM reply with quote send message to OTT Mournebrake Object to Post

Now I'm totally miffed (again) - I have a Bloodhound bitch who I'm tearing my hair out trying to qualify CDX.

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13649515

Yesterday she finally got a placing with a 174 (9pts win).
Her winning figures were:
DR 5.5 ROF 5 RHJ 6 BRJ 5.5 8+HF 4

So today I thought as she's winning through I'll start sessioning bottom line, bearing in mind her figures are:

DR 19 ROF 19 RHJ 19 BRJ 19 and Fig8 19 HF 19

Well today I'm devastated she failed to get any points with a score of 165. Her figures were:
DR 5.5 ROF 7.5 RHJ 7 BRJ 5.5 8+HF 4.5 (so 10 less than yesterday)

Can anyone tell me why?
 OTT Mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/13/2015 6:24:59 PM reply with quote send message to OTT Mournebrake Object to Post

Could it be that she's due a litter on Sunday? I know nowhere where it says obedience trials are affected by pregnancy but this can be the only explanation.
 Aussiewolfsister
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/13/2015 8:07:18 PM reply with quote send message to Aussiewolfsister Object to Post

Late pregnancy affects showing, so would not be surprised if it affects trialing.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/14/2015 10:26:45 AM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

I've bumped the thread in general forum.
 RockBottomHounds
Basic User

Basic User
3/14/2015 12:35:12 PM reply with quote send message to RockBottomHounds Object to Post

My Otterhound dog Polar Sun Hoofman won his CD title today! He's 44 days old. His qualifying figures are 19 19 19 19 18 top line. I haven't started sessioning for CDX yet so he's starting from 5's.
 OTT Mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/14/2015 12:40:58 PM reply with quote send message to OTT Mournebrake Object to Post

posted by OTT Mournebrake
Now I'm totally miffed (again) - I have a Bloodhound bitch who I'm tearing my hair out trying to qualify CDX.

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13649515

Yesterday she finally got a placing with a 174 (9pts win).
Her winning figures were:
DR 5.5 ROF 5 RHJ 6 BRJ 5.5 8+HF 4

So today I thought as she's winning through I'll start sessioning bottom line, bearing in mind her figures are:

DR 19 ROF 19 RHJ 19 BRJ 19 and Fig8 19 HF 19

Well today I'm devastated she failed to get any points with a score of 165. Her figures were:
DR 5.5 ROF 7.5 RHJ 7 BRJ 5.5 8+HF 4.5 (so 10 less than yesterday)

Can anyone tell me why?

Today she failed again to win points with a score of 169. Her figures were:

DR 7 ROF 5.5 RHJ 5 BRJ 7 8+HF 6.5

So the theory of her being in whelp are sort of ruled out as she's a day closer to whelping but got a 4 point better score than yesterday.

Replies in this thread : 145
Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.