Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 13

Author Topic : How many breeds you keep in your kennel?
 ESAN
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/28/2018 3:27:40 AM reply with quote send message to ESAN Object to Post   

So how many breeds do you think is best to have in one kennel and still be competitive in them? I am struggling letting go of some breeds and know it's probably counterproductive to keep as many. And gow do you choose which breeds to give up?
 Lisboa
Basic User

Basic User
6/28/2018 6:52:16 AM reply with quote send message to Lisboa Object to Post

I have 1 breed per kennel.
 Berry Brits
Basic User

Basic User
6/28/2018 7:41:35 AM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Optimally I’d like to keep 1 breed per kennel, but there are so many breeds I want to be in I’ve ended up keeping 2 in most of my kennels. I find that you can stay competitive with 2 breeds in a kennel but personally keeping on top of entries for multiple breeds gives me a headache haha.

2 breeds works if you really crack down on only keeping show quality (or near show quality) pups, and I already FH more than I’d like! I can’t imagine having more than 2 breeds in a kennel without going wayyyy over limit lol.

If I’m color breeding or trait breeding in a breed then I definitely can’t fit more than one breed in a kennel, that essentially takes up the other breed space haha.

It’s hard deciding which breeds to let go though. D: I’d say keep the ones you’re most successful in, or that you have high SOPs in? That’s just one piece of the puzzle though. If it’s a breed in need I’d also say give preferential treatment to it. It’s hard cutting breeds lol.

-----
Last edited by Berry Brits on 6/28/2018 7:44:15 AM
 Mijas
Basic User

Basic User
6/28/2018 8:00:08 AM reply with quote send message to Mijas Object to Post

I like to have a main breed in the kennel and then sometimes another where I do less breeding and more showing happy :)
 Jasper Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
6/28/2018 8:13:01 AM reply with quote send message to Jasper Kennel Object to Post

Since I'm just a basic on this game I have to buy most of my dogs so I buy whatever's available that I like. Right now I have bloodhounds and harriers but I've had redbones and black/tans on this game. I love my hound dogs! happy :)
 Diasonia
Basic User

Basic User
6/28/2018 8:22:53 AM reply with quote send message to Diasonia Object to Post

You have touched a very painful subject for me. I am a hoarder...ha!

I find that if you breed for colors and stats - 1 breed per kennel works the best way.

If you breed just for stats - 2 would work best.

I am struggling to pick max of 2 breeds in couple of my kennels thought, because I want them ALL!
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/28/2018 10:38:20 AM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

In two of my kennels I have one (Dals and Afghans) But in the other three, I have three, four, and three and it's too many. I have tried to let some go but they are the ones I started with (ie my first litter, etc) in 2007 and I just can't do it.

Two is manageable, over that is just a constant battle.
 Kupara
Basic User

Basic User
6/28/2018 3:15:52 PM reply with quote send message to Kupara Object to Post

I would say 2 breeds max, tho I have seen some breeders be successful with 3 breeds in the same kennel.

I started out with 2 breeds per kennels, but I like to breed a lot so after a while I was constantly going over limit in all my kennels, so I ended up getting out of some of the breeds to keep just 1 breed per kennel.
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/28/2018 6:39:05 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

Right now, I have like 19/20 in here. lol

Will
 ESAN
Basic User

Basic User
6/29/2018 1:30:23 AM reply with quote send message to ESAN Object to Post

Wow, Will! How do you manage so many, what's your stategy?
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/29/2018 2:50:36 AM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

I don't have one. I guess.

Will
 Picardy
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/2/2018 12:08:18 PM reply with quote send message to Picardy Object to Post

How many breeds? Too many breeds.

I manage to keep my GraceInGlory kennel for Cairn terriers only. Peregrin has 2 breeds currently, and I usually have 3+ breeds my other kennels. I enjoy switching it up frequently.
 ambertal
Basic User

Basic User
7/3/2018 10:28:03 AM reply with quote send message to ambertal Object to Post

Right now, I have three breeds. Smooth Collies, Irish Setters, and one Labrador Retriever.
 ambertal
Basic User

Basic User
7/3/2018 10:28:04 AM reply with quote send message to ambertal Object to Post

Right now, I have three breeds. Smooth Collies, Irish Setters, and one Labrador Retriever.

Replies in this thread : 13

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.