Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 13

Author Topic : How many breeds you keep in your kennel?
 ESAN
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/28/2018 3:27:40 AM reply with quote send message to ESAN Object to Post   

So how many breeds do you think is best to have in one kennel and still be competitive in them? I am struggling letting go of some breeds and know it's probably counterproductive to keep as many. And gow do you choose which breeds to give up?
 Lisboa
Basic User

Basic User
6/28/2018 6:52:16 AM reply with quote send message to Lisboa Object to Post

I have 1 breed per kennel.
 Berry Brits
Basic User

Basic User
6/28/2018 7:41:35 AM reply with quote send message to Berry Brits Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Optimally I’d like to keep 1 breed per kennel, but there are so many breeds I want to be in I’ve ended up keeping 2 in most of my kennels. I find that you can stay competitive with 2 breeds in a kennel but personally keeping on top of entries for multiple breeds gives me a headache haha.

2 breeds works if you really crack down on only keeping show quality (or near show quality) pups, and I already FH more than I’d like! I can’t imagine having more than 2 breeds in a kennel without going wayyyy over limit lol.

If I’m color breeding or trait breeding in a breed then I definitely can’t fit more than one breed in a kennel, that essentially takes up the other breed space haha.

It’s hard deciding which breeds to let go though. D: I’d say keep the ones you’re most successful in, or that you have high SOPs in? That’s just one piece of the puzzle though. If it’s a breed in need I’d also say give preferential treatment to it. It’s hard cutting breeds lol.

-----
Last edited by Berry Brits on 6/28/2018 7:44:15 AM
 Mijas
Basic User

Basic User
6/28/2018 8:00:08 AM reply with quote send message to Mijas Object to Post

I like to have a main breed in the kennel and then sometimes another where I do less breeding and more showing happy :)
 Jasper Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
6/28/2018 8:13:01 AM reply with quote send message to Jasper Kennel Object to Post

Since I'm just a basic on this game I have to buy most of my dogs so I buy whatever's available that I like. Right now I have bloodhounds and harriers but I've had redbones and black/tans on this game. I love my hound dogs! happy :)
 Diasonia
Basic User

Basic User
6/28/2018 8:22:53 AM reply with quote send message to Diasonia Object to Post

You have touched a very painful subject for me. I am a hoarder...ha!

I find that if you breed for colors and stats - 1 breed per kennel works the best way.

If you breed just for stats - 2 would work best.

I am struggling to pick max of 2 breeds in couple of my kennels thought, because I want them ALL!
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/28/2018 10:38:20 AM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

In two of my kennels I have one (Dals and Afghans) But in the other three, I have three, four, and three and it's too many. I have tried to let some go but they are the ones I started with (ie my first litter, etc) in 2007 and I just can't do it.

Two is manageable, over that is just a constant battle.
 Kupara
Basic User

Basic User
6/28/2018 3:15:52 PM reply with quote send message to Kupara Object to Post

I would say 2 breeds max, tho I have seen some breeders be successful with 3 breeds in the same kennel.

I started out with 2 breeds per kennels, but I like to breed a lot so after a while I was constantly going over limit in all my kennels, so I ended up getting out of some of the breeds to keep just 1 breed per kennel.
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/28/2018 6:39:05 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

Right now, I have like 19/20 in here. lol

Will
 ESAN
Basic User

Basic User
6/29/2018 1:30:23 AM reply with quote send message to ESAN Object to Post

Wow, Will! How do you manage so many, what's your stategy?
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/29/2018 2:50:36 AM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

I don't have one. I guess.

Will
 Picardy
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/2/2018 12:08:18 PM reply with quote send message to Picardy Object to Post

How many breeds? Too many breeds.

I manage to keep my GraceInGlory kennel for Cairn terriers only. Peregrin has 2 breeds currently, and I usually have 3+ breeds my other kennels. I enjoy switching it up frequently.
 ambertal
Basic User

Basic User
7/3/2018 10:28:03 AM reply with quote send message to ambertal Object to Post

Right now, I have three breeds. Smooth Collies, Irish Setters, and one Labrador Retriever.
 ambertal
Basic User

Basic User
7/3/2018 10:28:04 AM reply with quote send message to ambertal Object to Post

Right now, I have three breeds. Smooth Collies, Irish Setters, and one Labrador Retriever.

Replies in this thread : 13

Did you know?
At least two wins must be a set of three or more points ("majors"), under two different judges; at least one additional win under a third judge is also required.